Do you want to know how many Bangalore students abroad? Here are some interesting data.
There are many reasons why Indian students choose to go abroad for higher education. Students travel to different countries from all over India.
Recent data released by an educational consulting firm showed that the Bengaluru is home to the second-highest number of students who went abroad for higher education in 2019. The highest number of these students came from Hyderabad.
Students Abroad – Percentage Of Students From Cities Across India
Hyderabad – 11% of all Indian students travelling abroad were from Hyderabad. India’s startup capital,
Bangalore – Bengaluru came second with the city being home to 9% of Indian students travelling abroad. However, it is important to note that any of these students were not originally from Bengaluru but may have travelled to the city for schooling and undergraduate college courses.
Mumbai, Pune and Chennai – Other cities in the top 5 were Mumbai, Pune and Chennai. Mumbai was home for 8.2% of the student population while 5.3% and 4.5% of students came from Pune and Chennai respectively.
Delhi – 2.9% of the students hailed from India’s capital, New Delhi. The city was followed by Ahmedabad and Kolkata.
Where Did This Data Come From?
The data was released by a Mumbai-based online platform Yocket. According to Yocket, since 2015, over 3 lakhs students from India have joined various universities abroad each year. Of these 20,000 – 30,000 students are from Karnataka.
Bangalore Students Abroad – Highlights
- The US is the most sought after destination for Bengalureans. It is followed by Canada and Germany.
- Some of the most popular courses are computer science, electrical, data science and mechanical and management information systems.
- The average age of Indians travelling abroad is higher than that of students coming from other cities. The youngest students were from Mumbai.
- The average age of Bengalureans travelling abroad as students is 23 years 7 months.
- A higher average age implies that most students travelling abroad from Bengaluru work for a short time before their post-graduation.
- Bengaluru students are the best performers with respect to screening tests such as TOEFL.
- The average TOEFL score of Bengaluru students was 104
Students Abroad And Scholarships
Studying abroad is an expensive affair and around 52% of all students travelling abroad took and educational loan to do so. Others managed through self-funding or scholarships.
11% of all students from India have a partial scholarship while 8.1% of all students had a fully-funded scholarship.
- How To Get Educational Loans And Scholarships In Karnataka?
- Education In Karnataka
- Prabuddha Overseas Scholarships Scheme