Karnataka has 20 Universities, 192 Engineering institutions, 42 Medical Colleges, 38 Dental colleges, 248 Polytechnics, 103 R&D Centers.
The Mysore University (1916) was the first University to be started in Karnataka. This was followed by the Karnatak University (1949), the Bangalore University (1964), the Mangalore University (1980), the Gulbarga University (1980), and the Kuvempu University (1987).
The two Universities of Agricultural Sciences – the one at Bangalore (1965) and the other at Dharwad (1986), cater to the needs of students aspiring for specialization in the different branches of agriculture. Recently in 1991 Kannada University at Hampi has also been started to promote the study of the Kannada language, art and culture.
In Bangalore there are other centres of higher learning like the Indian Statistical Institute (1978), Indian Institute of Science (1911), Indian Institute of Management (1972), the National Law School of India University (1987) and Institute for Social and Economic Change (1972).
A second campus of IISc is being setup in the upcoming science city in Chitradurga.
Bangalore, Mysore and Gulbarga Universities have been awarded 5 star status by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC), an autonomous institution of the University Grants Commission.
Karnataka Veterinary, Animal and Fisheries Sciences University (KVAFSU), Bidar: The University was established exclusively for the development of education and learning; conduct of research and extension education and transfer the rural oriented technologies in the areas of Veterinary, Animal, Dairy and Fisheries Sciences in Karnataka.
The Karnataka Private Medical Colleges Association (K.P.M.C.A), Karnataka Dental Colleges Association (K.P.D.C.A) & Karnataka Unaided Private Engineering Colleges Association have in their endeavor to offer a “Single Window” approach to students seeking admissions. They have embarked on an endeavor to develop an effective, credible and alternative seat selection process for admissions & have decided to form a “Consortium of Private Medical, Dental & Engineering Colleges” named as ‘COMED-K‘.
Karnataka has done well by having a good number of schools for differently enabled children.
College Student Strength
Department of collegiate education on the enrolment in govt, aided and unaided colleges (excluding B.Ed, agricluture & professional colleges) show that on an average, a college in Karnataka admits 378 students (as of March 2011).
Colleges partially funded by govt are the most crowded. Nearly 60,000 students study in Bangalore’s 61 colleges.
The number of private institutions is more in Gulbarga region next to Bangalore.
Foreign Students in Bengaluru
In 2014 there were about 10,000 foreign students studying in Bengaluru. Some of the leading countries are,
- Afghanistan: 66
- Congo: 201
- Nigeria: 88
- Sudan: 120
- Yemen: 40
Speech And Hearing Science
There are just two well known institutions offering degrees in Speech and Hearing Sciences.
- Dr. S.R. Chandrasekhar Institute of Speech and Hearing, Bangalore – B.Sc, M.Sc and other courses
- All India Institute of Speech And Hearing, Mysore – B.Sc, M.Sc and other courses
For the first time in the country, an MSc course in Wildlife Biology and Conservation has been inaugurated at the National Centre for Biological Sciences at the GKVK campus in the city. (Feb 14, 2004)
The course is affiliated to the Manipal Academy of Higher Education and has been launched in association with the Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS), New York; Centre for Wildlife Studies (CWS) and NIAS. Applications for the course had been solicited in December.
- E-learning from CFTRI, Mysore. Contact email@example.com for more details
College for Average Students
Name: United Degree Mission College
Affiliated to: Bangalore University
Courses offered: BA, BCom, BBM
Phone: +91-80-2227 8695
The college aims to assist those who are weak economically and haven’t scored very high marks.
Universities in Karnataka
- Alliance University, Bangalore
- Azim Premji Univesity
- Bangalore University
- Christ University, Bangalore
- Gulbarga University
- IISc, Bangalore
- Jain University, Bangalore
- JSS University, Mysore
- Kannada University, Hampi
- Karnataka University, Dharwad
- Karnataka State Law University, Hubli
- Karnataka State Open University, Mysore
- Kuvempu University, Shimoga
- Mangalore University
- Manipal University
- Mysore University
- PES University, Bengaluru
- University of Agricultural Science, Bangalore
- University of Agricultural Science, Dharwad
- Yenepoya University
- Universities in Karnataka – quotas in Private Universities
Schools in Karnataka
- Overview of Schools in Karnataka
- International Schools in Karnataka
- Pre Schools in Karnataka
- Special Schools in Karnataka
2nd PUC Colleges, Exams in Karnataka
- Karnataka ComedK
- PUC / CET / ComedK Tuitions
- PUC Colleges in Karnataka
- Karnataka CET
- Exam Dates
- Exam Results – SSLC, PUC, CET etc.
Creative Courses in Karnataka
- Bangalore Institute of Fashion Technology (BIFT)
- Designomics Live Academy
- Karnataka Chitrakala Parishath
- Srishti School of Art Design and Technology
Engineering & Medical Courses in Karnataka
- Indian Institute of Astrophysics, Bangalore
- Institute of Trans-disciplinary Health Sciences and Technology (IHST), Bangalore
- Oriental Research Institute, Mysore
- Raman Research Institute, Bangalore
- Central Institute of Indian Languages, Mysore
- Foreign Language Training
- Horse Riding Schools
- Hotel Management
- Journalism & Mass Communication
- Management Institutes
- Karnataka Education Vision 2020
- Law Colleges in Karnataka
- Ranking of Colleges in Karnataka – 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008
- How To Apply For A Free Seat Under The Right To Education (RTE) In Karnataka
Also see: Department of Public Instruction