Every year on Independence Day and Republic day, flower shows are organized at the Lalbagh Botanical Garden. The event is jointly organised by Department of Horticulture and Mysore Horticulture Society, this flower show has been one of the most awaited events in the Garden City.
The 2017 Republic Day edition of Lalbagh flower show is the 204th flower show! A remarkable milestone. This year the flower show would use over 200 varieties of flowers and 20,000 pots for decoration. Over 500,000 visitors are expected to see this famous flower show.
Major Attractions of 2017 Lalbagh Flower Show
- Cymbidium Flowers: For the first time in the history of the flower show, around 250 Cymbidium flowers will be featured. They are grown in Sikkim and Darjeeling and are originally from the Netherlands and Australia.
- Cold Climate Flowers: Flowers such as Impatiens, Begonia and Fuchsia can be seen
- Replicas of Butterflies: Butterfly replicas are made using flowers such as roses, orchids, chrysanthemum, carnation
A highlight is the 900,000 saplings, which were planted three months ago. Apart from Glass House and Band Stand, that usually get the crown of flowers, this time there would be longer lasting flowers in more than 60 spots, including foothill of Kempegowda towers, director’s campus, DHO Lawn, Tree Fossil area, Java Fig area.
Fascinating Fabrication of Flowers
- Twenty-five varieties would occupy 10,000 sq feet at different vantage points.
- The Glass House will host nearly 800 aesthetic exhibits.
- Nearly 250 farmers across the State would display rare and unique farm produce to demonstrate the emerging horticulture technologies.
- Approximately Rs 1.2 crore ($200,000) is being spent on this edition of the flower show.
A Peek into the Flower Fiesta
This 10-day floral extravaganza at Lalbagh will be held from January 20th t0 29th, 2017. All the flowers and plants displayed at the Flower Show are detailed with definite information.
The cool and sublime weather condition of Bangalore adds to the splendor of the Flower Show in more ways than one way. Undoubtedly, a must visit place for the whole family.
Lalbagh Flower Show Quick Facts
- Flower show is open from January 20th to 29th, 2017
- Car parking will be at Shantinagar Bus Stand, the BBMP car park on JC Road, for two-wheelers at Al-Ameen College and HOPCOMS premises near Double Road Gate.
- Pedestrians can enter the flower show from any of the 4 gates.
- The entry fee is priced at Rs. 60 on holidays for adults. On all other days the entry fee is Rs 50 for adults.
- Entry fee for children on all days is Rs 20.
- Free entry for school kids are on 21, 23, 24, 25, 27, 28 of January
- You can buy the tickets to Lalbagh flower show online.
- Entry of private vehicles has been banned into Lal Bagh by The Horticulture Department.
- School buses are allowed into the garden through the Double Road gate.
- There are cloak rooms at each entrance of the Lalbagh Botanical Garden.
- 40 CCTVs, hidden cameras and drone cameras have been used for providing security.
- Timings: 9 am to 6 pm