Lalbagh Flower is a sight to watch. Every year on Independence Day and Republic day, flower shows are organized at the Lalbagh Botanical Garden. The event is jointly organized by the Department of Horticulture and Mysore Horticulture Society, this flower show has been one of the most awaited events in the Garden City.
The 208th edition of the Lalbagh flower show begins on August 4th and is dedicated to the Indian Armed Forces. A model of the Amar Jawan Jyoti, the war memorial at India Gate in Delhi will be the highlight of the show. This flower show will also commemorate the 85 years completed by the Kannada Film Industry. Three themes will be created in the garden; one contained in the glass house, the second around the glass house and the third along the garden perimeter and at the entrances.
Major Attractions of the 2018 Independence Day Flower Show
- Landscapes have been created depicting BSF jawans on the Siachen glacier, in deserts and on the coast
- Replicas of the warship INS Vikramaditya, tanks, fighter jets satellites and BrahMos and Akash missiles will be on display
- Helicopter and warplanes made in HAL and war models and radars made in BEL will be on display to highlight Bangalore’s contribution to the defence
- A 25-foot tall vertical garden made of 15,000 flowers will be created in the glass house to replicate a lighthouse transmitting signals to the armed forces.
- The glass house will also have panels on display informing visitors of hoe the defence forces are structured, their gallantry awards and combat accomplishments.
- Army, Navy and Airforce flags are installed amidst the flowers
- Musicians from the BSF, KSRP and Madras Engineering Group will entertain visitors on the weekend.
- A drawing competition will be arranged on the theme of ‘Role of soldiers in the protection of motherland’ and ‘Border problems of India’.
- Floral models of cameras, clapboards and film reels will be displayed in the glass house.
- The film reel is 45 ft long and has been made with over 15,000 roses.
- The camera model uses about 7000 roses.
Milestones of 2018 Lalbagh Flower show
- The flower show has been put together by 15 artists who used 1.2 lakh flowers
- 40000 flowers will be replaced thrice a day to keep the displays fresh
- 87 types of seasonal flowers will be on display
- The cost of setting up the flower show exceeds INR 2 crores
A Peek into the Flower Fiesta of Flower Show 2018
This edition of the Lalbagh Flower Show will be open to the public from the 4th of August to the 15th of August 2018. Over 7 lakh visitors are expected. The colourful flower arrangements and intricate models on display makes the exhibition attractive to adults and children. Plants and saplings will also be available for sale.
Lalbagh Flower Show on Independence Day 2018: Quick Facts
- The show is open from August 4th to 15th, 2018
- Car parking will be at Shantinagar Bus Stand, the BBMP car park on JC Road, for two-wheelers at Al-Ameen College and HOPCOMS premises near Double Road Gate.
- Pedestrians can enter the flower show from any of the 4 gates.
- The entry fee is priced at INR. 70
- Entry fee for children on holidays/weekends is INR 20.
- School children are requested to visit the show on weekdays
- Plastic is not permitted on the premises
- You can buy the tickets to the show online.
- Entry of private vehicles has been banned into Lal Bagh by The Horticulture Department.
- School buses are allowed into the garden through the Double Road gate.
- There are cloakrooms at each entrance of the Lalbagh Botanical Garden.
- 40 CCTVs, hidden cameras, and drone cameras have been used for providing security.
- Timings: 9 am to 6 pm