A marriage certificate is a valid legal document that establishes the marital status of a couple. It is an essential document, particularly for married women. In India, marriage registration can be done either under the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 or under the Special Marriage Act, 1954, or under the Parsi Marriage and Divorce Act, 1936.
While the Hindu Marriage Act is applicable only to the Hindus (Hindu, Buddhist, Brahma, Parthana and Arya Samaj), the Special Marriage Act is applicable to all citizens of the country, irrespective of religion, caste, and language. The Parsi Marriage and Divorce Act, 1936 is applicable to Parsies and Zoroastrians.
Eligibility to apply for Marriage Certificate in Karnataka
- Bridegroom must have completed 21 years of age
- Bride must have completed 18 years of age
Documents needed to apply for Marriage Certificate in Karnataka
The following documents are needed to register and obtain the marriage certificate in Karnataka.
- Completely filled application form, duly signed by both bridegroom and bride
- A copy of the wedding card
- Proof of address – Passport/ Voter ID Card/ Driving License/ House Rent Agreement/ Telephone Bill or Electricity Bill. The address proof must be in one of the applicant’s name
- Age proof of bridegroom and bride – Mark sheet of 10th standard with the date of birth mentioned on it or Passport
- Identity proof of bridegroom and bride – Passport/ PAN Card/ Voter ID card
- 2 passport sized photographs each of bridegroom and bride
- 6 copies of joint photographs of bridegroom and bride in a blue or white background in 2B size.
- 2 photographs of the marriage where the bridegroom and the bride wearing their marriage dress and are clearly seen taking part in the marriage ceremony
- Separate marriage affidavits in prescribed format from bridegroom and bride
- Aadhar Card
- Affidavit in case of name change of bride after the marriage
- The newspaper in which the information of the bride’s name change was published
- All documents must be self-attested
- At least one of the applicants must have government issued residence proof
Offline procedure to apply for Marriage Certificate in Karnataka
- Visit the sub-registrar office nearest to your residence to get the prescribed application form for marriage certificate
- Or, you may download the form from the online source http://www.karunadu.gov.in/karigr/download/hindu%20marriage%20forms.pdf
- Carefully fill in the details in the application form. If there was a name change of bride after the marriage, make sure to write the new name in the form
- The form must be signed by three witnesses of the marriage. Witnesses can be friends and relatives.
- Submit the filled-in form along with the necessary documents at the office of the sub-registrar. The information will be verified officially and 6 printouts of the information provided in the application will be handed over to the applicants.
- The bridegroom and the bride must put their signature on the printouts of the forms in the specified area
- Two copies of the certificate of marriage will be handed over to the bride and bridegroom at the office of the sub-registrar and the other copies will be kept for official records
Online procedure to apply for Marriage Certificate
- Visit the online official website of Karnataka government
- Select the name of your district and continue
- Fill in the bridegroom’s details and select “Registration of Marriage Certificate”.
- Fill in Marriage Certificate form and select date of appointment
- Submit the form by clicking on “Submit Application”
- A temporary number will be allotted to you that will be found printed on the acknowledgment slip and this will complete the application procedure
- Take a print out of acknowledgment slip and keep it with you
Witness for Marriage Certificate
- Any person who has attended the wedding of the couple can be a witness for the marriage registration.
- All witnesses must have PAN Card and Proof of Residence
Charges for Marriage Certificate
- No fee is required for registration of marriage under Hindu Marriage Act. The application fee is Rs.5 and the fee for certified copy is Rs.10.
- Fee for solemnization of marriage under the Special Marriage Act is Rs.10. An amount of Rs.15 is charged extra for solemnizing in any other place outside the sub registrar’s office. The fee for notice of intended marriage is Rs.3. The fee to obtain the certified copy of certificate of marriage is Rs.2
- Under Parsi Marriage Act, the required fee to be paid for certified copy of a certificate of marriage is Rs.2.