How to apply for a death certificate in Karnataka? Why should you register a death in Karnataka? What are the ways to register and obtain a death certificate in Karnataka? Find out answers to all your questions.
As per the Registration of Births and Deaths Act, 1969 in Karnataka registration of a death is mandatory. Digitalised details of deaths are available now in Karnataka. Thanks to technology, century-old records of deaths are now available in digital space.
There are requests for death certificates to solve the property dispute related matters. Even before digitalisation, death certificates of a person dead after 2010 were made available online.
Why Death Registrations In Karnataka
- Through registering a death one can get proof for the place of death
- Helps maintain a legal register of deaths in a particular locality.
- Provides demographic data for socio-economic planning, population control and other health programmes.
- Settlement of inheritance and property rights
- To claim insurance
- To get family pension
Death Registrations In Karnataka – Key Points To Remember
- One should report the death within 21 days of the occurrence of the event.
- Application formats can be obtained from the register of and death free of cost
- Fine/penalty can be imposed on any person for non-reporting/ non-registration and negligence
- The oncerned authority should ensure that all the death in the area under their jurisdiction are registered and death certificates are delivered
Death Registrations In Karnataka– Who Must Inform
These people mentioned below are authorised under the Act to inform/notify about deaths by place of occurrence of the event.
- Institution-Hospital, health facility, nursing home etc.- Medical officer-in-charge or any person authorized by the MO I/C, Jailor-in-charge, Person-in-charge
- Chief administrator in Jail, hotel, Dharmashala, Choultry, hostel, etc
- Public place ( dead body found deserted)- an officer in –charge of the local police station (in other areas)
- Events in moving vehicle/ -the person in-charge of the moving vehicle
- Plantation- superintendent of the area
Aadhar Is Mandatory To Register Death
In Karnataka, at the time of the funeral, submission of Aadhaar card has been made compulsory to ensure that the details of the deceased person will be submitted without any errors to the local body.
When A Death Should Be Certified By A Medical Practitioner?
If the death happened while a medical practitioner attending the deceased during his/her last illness, then Medical practitioner has to sign in a certificate of cause of death in a column provided to him in a certificate. Later the same should be sent to the concerned registrar along with death report.
In case of violent deaths and other medico-legal cases, medical examiner has to certify the form.
In case of natural calamities department will make special arrangements and depute a Sub Registrars to do a spot registration of the deaths and issues death certificates.
When Deaths Happens In Foreign Countries
Deaths of Karnataka citizens outside India cannot be registered in India. Such deaths can be registered at Indian Consulates under the citizen act 1955 and they will issue the certificate.
Applying For Death Certificate In Karnataka
In BBMP or other city corporation limits, certificates can be ordered online. But the death should be registered with the concerned local authorities within 21 days of the event.
- For the death certificate, one needs to visit here
- Online verification is also allowed through the BBMP website or by any urban development department
- In Mysuru city corporation limits the online certificates can be downloaded from here
- In rural parts, this website provides details of all deaths.
- In village panchayath – Village accountants, Sub registration units- government Medical institutions PHC/CHC – concerned officers, will enter the details in this website.
- In order to obtain additional copies of the death certificates or for corrections one can contact Data Entry Operators of the concerned Nada Kacheri.
- How To Apply For Birth Certificate In Karnataka
- How to Obtain A Marriage Certificate in Karnataka
- How To Apply For Caste And Income Certificates In Karnataka?
- How to Apply for Ration Card in Bangalore
- How to Apply for Voter Id Card in Karnataka