Registration of Births and Deaths Act 1969 made registration of births mandatory in the country. These certificates are proof for the legal existence of an individual and a source for the data of the population.
Civil registration of vital events like births, deaths, marriages, divorces and foetal deaths is a continuous, permanent and compulsory recording of the occurrence and characteristics of vital events. Birth certificates are permanent records
Keeping the changing scenario, in the year 1999, the Government of Karnataka introduced separate legislation in regard to the compulsory birth registration. The details can be found here
Why Apply For Birth Certificate In Karnataka?
- Legal objective – Through registering a birth one can get legal proof for a place of birth.
- Administrative objective – It helps to maintain the legal register of births in particular locality.
- Statistical objective – It provides demographic data which is helpful for socio-economic planning, population control and other health programmes.
Uses Of Birth Certificate In Karnataka
- A birth certificate is the first identity of a child
- It confirms the age of an individual
- Provides proof of age for admission to the school, driving license, passport, right to vote, care and protection of juveniles
Apply For Birth Certificate In Karnataka – Key Points To Remember
- One should report the birth within 21 days of the occurrence of the event.
- Application formats can be obtained from the register of birth free of cost.
- Registration can be done without mentioning the name of the child and it can be added later.
- Corrections of entry can be done in the register.
- The fine/penalty can be imposed on any person for non-reporting/ non-registration and negligence.
- The concerned authority should ensure that all birth in the area under their jurisdiction are registered. S/he should ensure delivery of birth certificates.
Birth – Who Should You Notify
These people mentioned below are authorised under the Act to inform/notify about births by place of occurrence of the event.
- House –Midwife/ANMs, ASHAs and Aanganwadi workers
- Institution-Hospital, health facility, nursing home etc.- Medical officer-in-charge or any person authorized by the MO I/C, Jailor-in-charge, Person-in-charge
- Chief administrator in Jail, hotel, Dharmashala, Choultry, hostel, etc
- Public place (for any new-born or dead body found deserted)- an officer in –charge of the local police station (in other areas)
- Events in moving vehicle/ -person-in-charge of the moving vehicle
- Plantation- superintendent of the area
How To Register The Birth Of An Adopted Child In Karnataka?
Adoption and surrogacy are the latest trends. In Karnataka, the registration of births under both is mandatory.
In the case of an adopted child, registration should be done in a different form `birth report for the adopted child’. If birth date and place is, unknown then Chief Medical Officer will issue a birth certificate and the order passed by the Magistrate in that matter.
In case of registration of births of children born through surrogacy, the birth certificate should be in the name of genetic parents.
Registration Of Birth In Karnataka – Hospitals As A Registration Centres
In case of institutional delivery, information about births will be informed to the officer-in-charge to the concerned Registrar for registration. Some state governments have declared few hospitals as a registration centre. Thus in case of institutional delivery, hospitals ensure timely registration and issues certificate to mother of the newborn before her discharge from the medical institution.
Other hospitals will issue the form and parents have to collect birth certificates from local administrative bodies. If parents collect in after 6 to 7 months it will not attract any late fee.
Separate Forms Are Available To Register The Following
- Registration of births of children taken on the adoption
- Registration of births of children born through Surrogacy/ART/
When Births Happened In Foreign Countries
If parents of the child return to India with a view to settling, then they should get the birth of their child registered within 60 days of the arrival of the child in Karnataka.
Details Required At The Time Of Birth Registration In Karnataka
- Date of birth
- Name of the child, if the child has not been named then this column should be left blank.
- Name of the father
- Name of the mother
- Address of parents at the time of the birth of the child
- Permanent address of parents
- Place of birth
- Informant’s name address
- The remaining details will be filled by the Registrar
Applying For Birth Certificate In Karnataka
In BBMP or other city corporation limits, certificates can be applied online. One can enter to their respective city corporation website page and click of birth certificates. However, the details need to be submitted manually.
- For example, in BBMP limits, for a birth certificate on needs to visit this page
- Once the above link is opened, the user is re-directed to this page
- Online verification is also allowed through the BBMP website
In other corporation, town panchayat and other urban bodies, this facility is provided by the urban development department.
- For example, In Mysuru city corporation limits the online certificates can be downloaded by clicking here.
- In rural parts, the website www.ejanma.karnataka.gov.in provides details of all births.
- In village panchayath, accountants, Sub registration units- government Medical institutions PHC/CHC – concerned officers, will enter the details in this website.
- Village accountants and Medical officers can be contacted for inclusion of Name of Child in birth certificates.
In order to obtain additional copies of the birth certificates or for corrections one can contact Data Entry Operators of the concerned Nada Kacheri.
After filling the necessary details on the website, one can apply for the birth certificate.
- How To Apply For Death Certificate In Karnataka
- How to Obtain A Marriage Certificate in Karnataka
- How To Apply For Caste And Income Certificates In Karnataka?
- How to Apply for Ration Card in Bangalore
- How to Apply for Voter Id Card in Karnataka
- How To Apply For Birth Certificate In Karnataka
- How To Apply For Death Certificate In Karnataka