The Karnataka government has introduced many housing schemes for the citizens. Let us find out how to avail the benefits of the housing schemes in Karnataka and what are the housing schemes available in the state.
Rajiv Gandhi Rural Housing Corporation Limited (RGRHCL) is a nodal agency of a state government and it takes care of the implementation of a housing scheme for economically weaker section.
RGRHCL aims at effective implementation of guidelines laid by the government and maintains quality in construction.
In Karnataka, a poor houseless person can get a house under different Housing schemes, like group housing scheme, rural site scheme and Ashraya colony. Housing Corporation looks after the monetary affairs related to the scheme.
It maintains the quality of construction works. Overall it aims at providing housing for socially and economically weaker sections of the society under various Central and State housing schemes.
Applying For A Housing Scheme In Karnataka – Eligibility
It’s mandatory that one should fulfil all the eligibility conditions laid down by the government for the housing schemes. Local administrative institutes (Gram Panchayaths) should maintain a list of eligible candidates who fulfil the eligibility criteria for the scheme and should revise the list annually.
After finalising the list, depending on the allocation in the budget, the government should decide the number of houses for construction. If the number of houses is less than the eligible candidates then panchayath should select the candidates for the scheme through a lottery method.
So what exactly are the eligibility criteria?
It’s mandatory that one should fulfil all the below criteria to avail benefits under the housing scheme.
- Applicants must be a woman (married or unmarried), ex-soldiers, physically challenged and senior citizens (includes both female and male), widow or widower.
- Applicant’s family should be economically and socially backward and their annual income should be less than Rs 32,000.
- Applicants should be houseless.
- The applicant or other members of the family should not hold their own house at any part of the state. Applicants who are residing in a hut or destroyed house will be eligible for this scheme.
- Applicants can hold their own land/site.
- An Applicant should not receive a residential facility from any other scheme.
- A family which applies for a house under Indira Awaz Yojana should score less than 30 points in all family survey.
Applying For A Housing Scheme In Karnataka – Documents Needed
After the sanctioning process, local self-government will issue the order for the construction. After receiving a constriction order, beneficiaries should submit the following documents to the Panchayath:
- Beneficiaries should open their saving accounts and has to submit the photocopy of the passbook.
- Beneficiaries should construct their house on their own initiative and submit the progress reports periodically.
- Subsidy funds will be released directly to the beneficiaries account.
When To Apply?
Every year Grampanchayaths will revise the list in the month of January. Aspirants can submit their applications during that time. The concerned department will give wide publicity about the scheme. Applicants can submit their fresh application in form no. 1 to the Grama panchayath or can submit through online along with the following documents
- Caste certificate (only for the applicants belongs to Sc and St community)
- Income certificate (annual income below 32,000)
- If the applicant is a holder of a site, then he should submit title deed of that land
- Identity card, (ration card/Aadhar/Bank account, voter ID card)
Beneficiaries submit a photocopy of all these documents to the Gramapanchayath and Officers should verify the certificates during spot visit. Gram Panchayaths will verify all the applications and mention reasons for the rejection. All applicants will receive SMS for the acceptance or the rejection of the application.
As mentioned earlier beneficiaries must be a woman. If the land is in the name of husband then that should be transferred to his wife to avail this benefit.
Applying For A Housing Scheme In Karnataka – Opening A Bank Account
All beneficiaries can open a zero balance account under the Rajiv Gandhi Housing Scheme. After opening an account beneficiaries should provide following details to the bank:
- Filled Application form
- Two passport size photos
- Identity card (BPL card/Aadhar card/Voter ID/ Driving licence)
- Signature of a beneficiary certified by Panchayath Development officer
Soon after getting direction to construct the house, beneficiaries should start their work. Within three months beneficiaries should complete their preliminary work like laying the foundation. Otherwise, his application will be cancelled.
The remaining amount will be released step by step based on the completion of the work.
Special Housing Scheme
Government has planned `special housing scheme’ for people belongs to the special category including:
- Physically challenged
- HIV victims
- Sexual workers
- Bonded labours
- Poura Karmika
- Victims of communal violence
- Nomads who stay in a temporary house
- Special professional groups like Beedi labours, Hamalis and other skilled labours
The government has formed a special team under the leadership of DC to provide housing facility for the special category people. They will identify the beneficiaries with the help of Local Self Government.
Group Housing Scheme
Generally, the first preference will be given to the construction of an individual house. But in this scheme, the beneficiary has to build the house in his own land and initially he should spend money from his own pocket.
It will be very difficult to provide the necessary fundamental facilities like water, electricity, road, drainage etc. But it can be easily provided under Group housing scheme. Beneficiaries shortlisted under this scheme has to sign for an agreement letter with the housing corporation
Aashraya Rural Housing Scheme
This scheme has planned for the families that don’t have housing sites. Thus to provide house to those families state government has introduced Aashraya housing scheme in the rural area.
It is mandatory for the beneficiaries to follow certain rules and regulations laid by the government. They are
- Beneficiaries of the housing scheme should not give their house for rent, lease or can’t sell that to others up to ten years.
- Beneficiaries should reside in that house and they should not leave it vacant. If in case the beneficiary violates the rule, Jilla Panchayath Chief Executive Officer will take necessary action against it.
- According to the rules, the Beneficiary has to repay the housing loan and subsidy with 11% interest.
- CEO should form an investigative team to collect details about the misuse of the houses. Criminal cases can be filed against the beneficiaries who have provided false information.
How To Avail The Subsidy Amount?
After the completion of each stage, the beneficiary has to upload the related photos to the website. After necessary verification, the department will release the subsidy amount to the beneficiaries account.
As the photos will be uploaded to the GPS, beneficiaries should upload good quality photos otherwise it will be rejected. Photos should be submitted in the following three stages-
Guidelines For The House Owner
- Foundation stage: After laying a foundation photo should be uploaded to the website. It’s mandatory that beneficiary and PDO/secretary should be there in every photo which will be clicked in three different stages.
- Window stage: windows and doors should be clearly visible in the photo
- Roof stage: construction of walls should be completed it should be clearly visible in the photo.
Guidelines For The House Owner
- While constructing the house beneficiaries’ expenditure should not cross four times more than the subsidy amount.
- Photos should be clearly visible. If the subsidy is utilised for rejuvenation of an old house then the amount will be rejected
- If the house has been build other than residential purpose then the subsidy will be rejected.
If the beneficiary wants to utilise the subsidy amount for the extension of the existing house, rejuvenation of old house, if he wants to use the house for non-residential purpose and if construction amount crosses the fixed subsidy, then he should submit an application in the fixed format to the concerned officer. The money will be released after certifying the application by the concerned officer.
Change In The Name And The Address
If an applicant wants to make any changes in the application like name, address, category, then he has to submit the application in a prescribed format and officers will make necessary changes in the website.
Along with the following documents proposals should be submitted to executive officers
- The proposal should be submitted in form 9 to make changes in the name of Village, category, gender/address
- Request letter from the beneficiary
- The applicant has to submit a voter ID card, Caste certificate/ and other documents
After the necessary, changes the chief executive officer will make a digital signature on that copy.
Change In The Name Of Father And Husband
In order to make changes in the name of husband or father applicant should submit his proposal in form 10. Along with it, the beneficiary should submit a request letter and certificates obtained from the Notary
In Case Of New Owner
- In case if the beneficiary dies in between, then the new owner should be added to the list
- The application should be submitted in form 11
- It should include request letter and a certificate from the notary
- Copy of the bank passbook in the name of the new owner
- The death certificate and other necessary documents should be submitted along with the above documents.
Generally, a family can’t be reselected after availing a facility under a housing scheme but it can be considered during the following conditions
- If the house has crossed 20 years and if it is damaged
- In case of natural calamities
Make the most of the housing schemes of the Karnataka government and avail the scheme if you are an eligible candidate.
- Government Schemes that are A ‘First’In Karnataka
- Welfare Measures by Karnataka Government
- How To Apply For Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana
- How To Avail The Benefit Of Ayushman Bharat Yojana or Arogya Karnataka?
- Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi Or PM Kisan In Karnataka
- Chief Ministers Self Employment Generation Programme In Karnataka