Many old parents don’t have support during their sunset years. Many children are not in a position to be in the same city as their parents.
If you can afford it, please make sure they are taken care of in a good old age home. They deserve it and most importantly they have earned it.
We are attempting to list all old-age homes in Karnataka. We would appreciate your help in expanding this list.
The Rise Of Senior Living Communities
As you get older, the buzz of city life loses its allure and you begin seeking quieter, more peaceful places. At the same time, you need to ensure that basic infrastructure and healthcare facilities remain easily available. In light of this, senior living communities have emerged as ideal real estate options for people planning their post-retirement lives.
It’s All About Independence
Back in the day, joint families were the norm where elders depended on their children for care. Today, parents hesitate before moving in with their children. Firstly, houses are smaller. Secondly, with age, a routine has crept into their lives and post-retirement that usually doesn’t match their children’s routines. Even as senior citizens, people value their independence and want to live life on their terms.
Senior Living Models
Where once, senior living was picturized as dilapidated old-age homes, the concept has now been refreshed and is accepted as a dignified housing option. By 2026, India’s 60+ population is expected to cross the 173 million mark. A large percentage of this population is considering moving to senior living communities.
Keeping in mind the varied needs of retired people, senior living communities can be broadly classified into 2 categories.
Senior Independent Homes
People who are hale and hearty mainly need someone to handle their basic infrastructure management while they manage their own chores and day-to-day tasks. Senior independent living communities offer independent compact apartments of houses with centralized maintenance of electricity, water, garbage collection, etc. Community members do have a choice of added services such as drivers, cooks, domestic help, etc.
Senior Assisted Homes
This model works well for people with specialized healthcare needs. They are usually designed as self-contained senior living townships with facilities ranging from concierge service to take care of shopping orders and flight bookings and entertainment clubs to 24/7 in-house healthcare services with registered doctors and nurses on call.
Some communities also offer daily home delivery of nutritious meals and recreational activities like yoga and meditation.
Bangalore has many such senior living communities. Living here is a win-win situation for everyone. The elderly get to enjoy their golden years in comfort and their families know that they are being taken care and that they can visit them any time.
Tips For Elders Seeking Old Age Homes In Karnataka
- Make sure whether moving to an old age home is inevitable for you.
- Consult your family members & close friends before taking decision.
- Evaluate your needs and affordability.
- Be slow & cautious in choosing the right home for you, keeping in mind the facilities & services available there.
- See that adequate facilities for your physical, social, emotional & spiritual needs are available there.
- Visit the home personally, inspect critically & be satisfied with the environment, quality of services, infrastructure such as rooms, beds, food, water, cleanliness, medical care, transport,communication & entertainment facilities.
- Do not be carried away by the claims & promises of the staff & management. Find out if the people are committed, service minded and trust worthy.
- Meet with the inmates & get all information & all doubts cleared. Observe the living conditions of the inmates, find how they are treated & whether the home is over crowded or not.
- Examine the scope of privacy, independence & security.
- Avoid keeping valuables with you.
- Study all the papers, documents, terms & conditions carefully before signing & making payments.
- Get a clear idea about the payments, fixed and recurring costs & whether deposits are refundable or not. Pls note, donations are not refundable.
- Get receipts for all payments & keep safe all the brochures & documents signed by the management and all copies of papers signed by you.
- Find whether easy communication with & visits by family members & friends are permissible.
- Furnish clear instructions & details about the people to be informed in case of emergencies.
- Why Retirements Homes Are Gaining Popularity?
- Things To Consider While Buying A Retirement Home
- Facilities And Care Get Better As You Grow Older
- 3 Ways To Own A Retirement Home
- About Old Age Homes in Bangalore
- List of Old Age Homes in Bangalore
- List of Old Age Homes in Bangalore on Karnataka.com
- List of Old Age Homes in Mangalore
- List of Old Age Homes in Mysore
- List of Old Age Homes in Suttur
|Sl No||Name of the Old Age Home||Telephone/Contact Person||Type of Mngmt/Services||Criteria for Admission|
|1||Arogya Matha Kendra||Payment type with deposit||NA|
|St.Lawrence Garden,||and monthly fee|
|Pademale PO, Mangalore-575005|
|2||Human Relations and National|
|Payment type with deposit and fees||NA|
|‘Shanti Bhavan’, 10,||and seperate fee for maintanence,|
|Jayalakshmipuram, Mysore-570012,||food, etc. Single Room and Single Cottage|
|3||Rose of Sharon Trust||+91 0824 2273282||Free admission will be decided||Above 60 Yrs|
|Site No. 182, 2nd Block,||only after verifying the status of|
|Katipalla, No.158, Magalore Taluk,|
Karnataka 575 030