Agumbe is a renowned hill station in Shimoga with its splendid sunsets and dazzling water streams. It is an ideal destination for holidays or trekking likewise. Agumbe is an approximate 380 Km from Bangalore and 130 Km from Mangalore.
It is the gateway to an ecologically sensitive, evergreen forest range on the Western Ghats supporting hundreds of species of flora and fauna.
What to See and Do in This Trek
- Barkana and Kunchikal Falls: The spectacular Barkana waterfall is a 7 Km drive from Agumbe. Forming a V-shaped valley,the river Sita graces the land. Whilst Barkana falls descends from a height of 850 ft, Kunchikal Falls descends from a height of 1493 feet. Now, these are definitely must visits.
- Kudlu Theertha Falls: This falls is located at a distance of 20 Km from Agumbe and drops from a height of 126 feet. To reach Kudlu Theertha Falls, you will have to take a sharp left to Hebri and then another left after 4 km. At the end of your trail, you will reach River Sita. Use the Burma bridge to get to the other side of the river and head straight through the jungles. After trekking for 3 to 4 km, you will reach the Kudlu Theertha Falls.
- Nishani Gudda: This bare mountain is quite fascinating for trekkers where the trail runs amidst dense woods. The trek is 3.5 kilometers from Agumbe.
- Jogigundi falls: If you want to hike, then Jogigundi is the perfect destination. Deriving its name from a saint named Jogi, this falls is just about 10-15 minutes from Agumbe. A small pond originates here and makes its way through a 50 ft deep cave. Be careful of leeches and other insects on your hiking route.
- Onke Abbi falls: Onke Abbi falls plunges from an elevation of 500 metres and is a 4 Km trek from Agumbe. You will have to trek through the therapeutic plants preservation area to reach this falls.
Places to Eat (Food Supplies)
- Dodda Mane, Agumbe
- Padiyar’s Hotel, Near sunset point, Agumbe
- Swathi Restaurant, 2 Km from Sitanadi Nisargadhama towards Agumbe
Where to Stay
You will not find any hotels or lodges in Agumbe. The nearest places with hotels are Hassan, Chikamagalur or Sringeri. So before you start your trek, it is advisable that you to book your accomodation. You can chose from Hotel Valley View International, Hotel Ashlesha, Hotel Green Park and Hotel Lake View which are situated in Udupi.
How to Reach Agumbe
- Bangalore to Agumbe: You have to reach Shimoga first. If driving, you have to go to Tumkur, take the road towards Tiptur and continue towards Arsikere, Kadur, Tarikere, Bhadravati and reach Shimoga. After reaching Shimoga, proceed towards South-West to reach Thirthahalli and finally Agumbe.
- Nearest Railway Station: Udupi Railway station is located 60km from Agumbe, while Shimoga Railway station is 90 km from Agumbe.
- Nearest Airport: Mangalore Airport, which is 135km from Agumbe is the nearest airport.
Tips to Remember
- Permission for trekking must be obtained from the Forest Department. You have to contact the DFO of the Shimoga Division or the Range Forest Officer of Megaravalli. Get hold of a local guide who will help you with the routes because the jungle is very dense.
- The forests are home to leeches round the year. A local remedy is coconut oil mixed with crushed tobacco applied on the .