Hasiru Dala is an NGO based in Bangalore that works along with waste collectors (Pourakarmikas) and other waste workers to ensure that they lead a life with dignity.
This social impact NGO was formed in the year 2010 by Anslem Rosario and Nalini Shekar when they decided to form a group to organize waste workers all around the city of Bengaluru. This NGO was formed to give waste workers a platform to be recognized for their contributions to the environment as well as the economy.
Hasiru Dala – AN Overview
The name of the NGO ‘Hasiru Dala’ which means ‘Green Force’ in Kannada was chosen by the waste pickers themselves. This NGO works to ensure a better livelihood for the waste workers as well as help them lead a life with dignity. The NGO also ensures that these workers still have access to waste even as the city continues to develop.
- Getting access to social security entitlements from the city, state, and central governments
- Working with different groups at central and state levels to bring the necessary changes in the policy for social security (Especially in those situations where some workers do not qualify for the social security entitlements)
- Building the skills of workers
- Initiatives to ensure good education and upbringing for their children
Different Initiatives For Waste Workers By Hasiru Dala
Given below are some of the important initiatives by Hasiru Dala for the betterment of the lives of waste workers and their families.
Creating Livelihoods For Waste Workers
To bring about dignity in livelihood for waste workers the team at Hasiru Dala has created a way to improve the workers’ working conditions as well as to increase their financial stability
Training Programmes For All Stake Holders
Waste workers, Government authorities, citizens, and students are given training by this NGO
Hasiru Mane – Housing Scheme
Providing affordable housing at zero percent/very low-interest rates.
Buguri – Initiative for Children
Buguri children’s initiative by Hasiru Dala works for the betterment of children through different programs. They ensure that the worker’s children remain in school and complete their education. Safe environments are also provided to nurture the child’s emotional, social and cognitive growth. Some of the support programs include:
- Library on wheels
- Community library
- Hostel facilities
- Educational loans
- Read Loud Day Celebration
- Annual workshop
- Creative Arts Expression Program
The NGO has been implementing several strategies to minimize the health risks of waste workers and to solve their health problems.
Other Initiatives By Hasiru Dala
Preserving Oceans And Other Water Bodies
To reduce pollution in the water bodies Hasiru Dala has been collecting segregated waste from homes and processing it locally.
Read: Environment NGOs
Zero Waste Initiative
This initiative focuses on waste segregation at its source. This is executed in 3 ways:
- By formally integrating waste collectors into the process of waste management
- Strong involvement of citizens
- Decentralized means of processing waste
This initiative has now been launched in the city of Bengaluru and the team is working towards introducing it to Mysuru and Tumakuru.
Extended Producer Responsibility Policy (EPR Policy)
The State governments in India have the responsibility to monitor producers, manufacturers, and recyclers under the EPR Policy. Hasiru Dala is working in a way to ensure that this policy supports workers who depend on waste picking and waste management for their living.
Contact Details Of Hasiru Dala
Contact Information For Hasiru Dala Bangalore office
- Address: 1785, 18th Main Rd, Marenahalli, 2nd Phase, J. P. Nagar, Bengaluru, 560078
- Mobile Number: +91 99868 08866
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: https://hasirudala.in/
Contact Information For Other Locations In Karnataka
- Mysuru Team / email@example.com
- Mangaluru Team / firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
- Tumakuru Team / firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
- Hubballi & Dharwarda Team / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Davanagere Team / email@example.com
- Chamarajanagar Team / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Coorg Team / email@example.com
- Chikkaballapura Team / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rajahmundry Team / email@example.com
- DART, A Bangalore Based NGO, Is Set To Find Cure For A Rare Disease
- NGO for Senior Citizens in Karnataka
- Health Related NGOs in Karnataka
- Aata Odanaata – A Sports NGO
- Education NGOs
- NGOs – Animal Lovers