With the high number of COVID cases continuing to be diagnosed every day, the Karnataka state government has issued a new SOP for Karnataka High Court. The government has already issued Standard Operating Procedure or SOP for the district courts and trial courts. These SOPs will be in effect from May 24th 2021 onwards until further orders are issued. Here’s what you need to know.
SOP For Karnataka High Court – Entry To The High Court Premises
- Advocates, litigants and parties-in-person will be allowed to enter only if they have a soft or hard copy of a specific order allowing them to do so.
- Passes to advocates, officers and litigants who have been directed to be physically present in the court will be issued by the Registrar by email. Requests for passes may be submitted by sending an email to email@example.com.
- Advocates and parties-in-person may be permitted to enter for rectification of office objections. This may be completed in the food court complex on the first floor.
- Advocates entering the court for rectification purposes may not be accompanied by more than one advocate colleague and an authorized clerk.
- Entry and exit will be permitted only through gate No. 5
- Entry will be permitted only after verification of identity documents and temperature scanning.
- Court staff, police personnel and all official vehicles may use gate No. 2 for entry and exit.
- The names and cell phone numbers of all visitors will be noted on entry.
- Anyone entering the court premises must wear a proper face mask, preferably the N95 face mask and gloves.
- Entry will not be permitted to anyone showing symptoms of COVID-19
- Social distancing guidelines must be strictly followed.
- Use of elevators limited to 50% carrying capacity
SOP For Karnataka High Court – Hearing Of Cases
- All benches will hear cases in virtual mode
Physical Filing Of Cases
- Facility for new filing of Interlocutory Applications, Memos, Demand draft/Cheques and extra documents is available at the Filing Counter near Gate no. 5. Prior appointments are not required.
- Filing counters timings:
- Monday to Friday: 10.30 am to 1.30 pm and 2.30 pm to 4.30 pm
- Working Saturdays: 10.30 am to 12.30 pm
Timings and number of filing counters may be reduced based on the availability of staff
- No crowding is permitted around the filing counter. Queues must be maintained with 6feet distance between 2 people
- Documents will not be accepted by a person who is not wearing a face mask.
SOP For Karnataka High Court – E-Filing Of Cases
- In urgent cases, advocates or parties-in-person may file matters by forwarding the appeal/petition and annexures if any, in a scanned PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org. Soft copies of the same may also be sent to email@example.com for civil matters and firstname.lastname@example.org for criminal matters.
- All pages of the petition must be signed by the lawyer and the petitioner or his/her authorized agent.
- Hard copies of the complete petition must be submitted when the High Courts resume normal functioning.
- In case of urgency, statements of objections, replies. Memos and affidavits may also be e-filed as per the method mentioned above.
SOP For Karnataka High Court – Memos For Posting
- Memos for urgent Preliminary hearings/ admissions and orders and final hearings may be sent only by e-mail to email@example.com. This must state the applicant’s cell phone number and email id. It must be accompanied by a brief note explaining the urgency.
- If the memo does not cover sufficient details, the prayer for listing/ e-filing may be rejected.
- Memo for the posting of newly filed cases will not be entertained.
- Court fees payable for the above may be made online through the “Online Copy Application/ Court Fee Payment” portal of the Karnataka High Court or through the Khajane II interface on k2.karnataka.gov.in.
Space For Notaries, Oath Commissioners And Compliance Of Office Objections
- Notaries and Oath Commissioners may occupy the parking open space between the Food Court and Old KGID Building
- Office objections can be compiled or rectified on the 1st floor of the food court. Timings:
- Monday to Friday: 11 am to 1.00 pm
- Working Saturdays: 11 am to 12.30 pm
- COVID Vaccination At Private Companies in Bangalore
- New Guidelines For COVID Vaccination In Karnataka
- Karnataka Lockdown – What Is Allowed And What Is Not