The Government of Karnataka has decided to extend the total lockdown after evaluating the COVID 19 situations in the state. The state-wide lockdown in Karnataka has been extended till July 5th but the regulations have been relaxed in 16 districts including Bangalore Urban. These are districts that have recorded a COVID-19 positivity rate below 5%. The relaxed lockdown will stay in effect till July 5th. The state has been going through a phase of lockdown which came into effect on the 27th of April 2021.
The decision was announced by Chief Minister B S Yediyurappa following a meeting the Karnataka State Government had with the Technical Advisory Committee, regarding the sharp spike in the number of COVID 19 cases in Karnataka. The lockdown is being further extended to curb the quick spread of this virus.
The people who violate these rules may be charged under the provisions stated under the Disaster Management Act of 2005 (Section 51 – Section 60). Section 188 of the IPC (Indian Penal Code) may also be used.
Districts Where Lockdown Is Not Relaxed
The below districts will be in complete lockdown till June 21
- Bengaluru Rural
- Dakshina Kannada
- Round The Clock Helpline For Oxygen And Remdesivir In Karnataka
- Oxygen Suppliers In Karnataka
- Interdistrict And Inter State Travel Pass During Lockdown In Karnataka
- KSP CLEAR Pass – Curfew E-Pass For Essential Services In Bangalore
- Lockdown Activities For Children – Listen To The Little Cloud
- Conducting A Wedding During COVID-19 In Karnataka
- Traveling To Karnataka From Other States – Quarantine And Other Guidelines
Districts With Relaxed Lockdown
- Bengaluru Urban
- Uttara Kannada
Lockdown Relaxation Guidelines
As the number of COVID-19 cases continues to fall, the Karnataka state government has decided to maintain the lockdown but introduce relaxation in certain districts. The lockdown regulations will be relaxed in 20 districts including Udupi and Bengaluru Urban from June 14th. Here’s what you need to know.
- Districts with a high COVID-19 test positivity rate such as Mandya, Chikkamagaluru, Hassan, Shivamogga, Belagavi, Davangere, Kodagu, Bengaluru Rural and Dakshina Kannada will continue to follow the existing lockdown rules without any changes.
- Officials in these districts have been instructed to take measures to reduce the positivity rate to below 5%
- District officials have the freedom to enforce stricter regulations if required.
- The lockdown status in these districts will be reviewed on June 21st.
What Are The Relaxations Introduced?
While some restrictions are being relaxed, weekend curfews from 7 pm on Friday to 5 am on Monday will continue. A night curfew will continue to be followed from 7 pm to 5 am every day. The following will be allowed:
What Has Been Permitted To Reopen?
- All shops, restaurants, clubs and hotels can operate till 5pm
- Private and government offices, lodges, resorts and Non-AC gyms can operate at 50% capacity
- Non-AC restaurants, hotels and clubs(except liquor) can serve dine-in guests till 5pm at 50% seating capacity
- Buses can function at 50% capacity
- Outdoor sports events may be conducted without any spectators
- Namma Metro services to restart with 50% capacity from Monday to Friday between 7am to 11am and 3pm to 6pm
What Stays The Same?
- State-wide night curfew from 7 pm to 5 am will continue
- State-wide weekend curfew from 7 pm Friday to 5 pm Monday will continue
Social, religious and political gatherings will not be permitted in any districts and schools, colleges, malls, cinema halls, stadiums, pools, bars, clubs and auditoriums will continue to remain closed. All other COVID norms apart from the points listed above will continue as per the lockdown regulations.
Karnataka Lockdown – What’s Allowed And What’s Not?
The Karnataka government had issued a guideline for the public earlier when the lockdown was imposed on the 27th of April 2021. Certain changes have been made to this guideline and the revised lockdown guideline comes into force from the 10th of May 2021 and will be valid till June 21. The guidelines will be applicable to the 11 districts where lockdown is not relaxed.
The Chief Secretary and Chairman of the State Executive Committee have authorized the Chief Commissioner of BBMP, Police Commissioners, Deputy Commissioners, Superintendents of Police, Department Heads, and other Authorities to strictly implement these new sets of rules beginning from the 10th of May.
Latest COVID-19 Updates From Karnataka
Travel -What Is Allowed?
Vehicles may be permitted to operate in the following cases.
- Passenger vehicles, Autos, and Taxis permitted in the following cases
- Students who have to appear for an exam (Hall ticket can be used as travel pass)
- State government and Central government employees (Who have been permitted to work- must produce their official ID)
- Construction workers (Who have passes issued by their company)
- Patients, their attendants, or people in a medical emergency heading towards a hospital
- To get tested for Coronavirus/ getting vaccinated
- Inter-state, intra-state, inter-district movement
- Inter-state and intra-state movement of passenger vehicles permitted in case of an emergency as mentioned in the guideline
- Inter-district movement of buses and passenger vehicles in the case of an emergency
- Must strictly follow the prevailing guidelines by the Department of Health and Family Welfare
- Airport Buses/ Airport Taxis
- Permission will be granted only after the traveler produces valid travel documents
- Goods vehicles
- Movement of all kinds of cargo
- Empty goods vehicles will also be permitted to move
- Flights and Trains
- Only those trains and flights that are scheduled will continue to operate during this phase of lockdown
- The travelers can use their train tickets/flight tickets as passes while traveling by personal vehicle, taxis, auto-rickshaws to the train station/airport
Movement Of People
Movement of individuals will be allowed only based on guidelines by the government
- People can buy essential items from 6 a.m. to 10 a.m. It is recommended to walk to your nearby stores
- Health professionals, other allowed employees such as delivery executives can use vehicles
- Inter-state travel of individuals will be based on the pass system
Travel – What’s Not Allowed?
The following modes of transportations wouldn’t be permitted to operate during this period of lockdown.
- Public buses
- Private buses
- Metro Railway Services
- Autos, rickshaws, and taxis (Except in the case of an emergency)
- Private vehicles (Except for an emergency/ getting essential services)
Medical And Health Services Is Allowed During Karnataka Lockdown
- All hospitals, Nursing homes, and clinics will function (Government/Private)
- This includes Veterinary hospitals and AYUSH
- Medical laboratories, Para-medical facilities, Research labs will operate
- Pharmacies, medical equipment suppliers, blood banks will function regularly
- Manufacturing units related to medical supplies and medical goods permitted to function
- All medical and health care workers, Para-medics, mid-wives, and hospital employees exempted from lockdown
- Inter and intradistrict, inter and Intra State movement of all health care and medical professional/workers, and health care support services permitted
Karnataka Lockdown – Delivery Of Food And Essential Services
All services involving the distribution of food and other essential items are permitted.
- All shops dealing with food and essential services are permitted to function between 6:00 am and 10:00 am
- Sale of vegetables and fruits on pushcarts permitted (6:00 am-6:00 pm)
- Milk booths and outlets of HOPCOMS can function (6:00 am- 6:00 pm)
- Home delivery of essential goods to be encouraged during this time
- Public Distribution System shops are also permitted to function
- All food and related industries will function
- Operation of all facilities involved in the supply chain of essential goods/services permitted
- This includes manufacturers, wholesale dealers, and retailers
Are Liquor Outlets And Bars Open During Karnataka Lockdown?
- Only take away services are permitted at standalone liquor outlets and shops (6:00 am- 10:00 am)
- Bars to remain closed
Karnataka Lockdown And Hotels/ Eateries/ Restaurants
- Only those hotels, hospitality services, and restaurants housing health officials, healthcare workers, Government officials, Police, stranded people including tourists, and those that operate as facilities for quarantine permitted to function.
- Hotels, eateries, and restaurants can operate their kitchens
- Only take away and home-delivery of food items allowed
Is Educational Institutions Working?
- All educational institutions (Public/Private) to remain closed
- Online classes/ distance education permitted
- Exams that are scheduled will be conducted
Karnataka Lockdown – Religious Places/ Marriages/ Funerals
- Places of worship closed for public
- No religious gatherings are permitted
- Rituals/ prayers may be performed by the religious personnel involved (No visitors are allowed)
- A maximum of 40 people can attend a marriage
- Only 5 people permitted to attend funeral/cremation
- The attendees have to strictly adhere to CAB (COVID 19 Appropriate Behavior)
Karnataka Lockdown And Sports And Games
- All sports complexes, Gymnasiums, stadiums, playgrounds, Swimming pools for the public to remain closed
- Playground and stadia may be used for practice and for organizing sports events
- No spectators are allowed
- Swimming pools operating under the Swimming Federation of India may be used for training by sports persons
Shopping And Entertainment During Karnataka Lockdown
- Shopping malls to remain closed
- Assembly halls and auditoriums will be closed
- Social gatherings are prohibited
- Cinema halls, Amusement parks, theatres, bars, clubs, assembly halls to remain closed for the public
Other Social Services
- Juvenile homes, after-care homes, observation homes exempted from lockdown
- Operation of homes for physically/mentally challenged, children, senior citizens, destitute, women, and widows are permitted by the government
- Works related to Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act ( MGNREGA)allowed
State Government Offices /Employees
The following state government offices and employees are exempted from this lockdown.
- Essential services including Electricity, Sanitation, Water Authority
- Police, Civil Defense services, Prison services, Fire and Rescue, Disaster Management, Home Guards, District/Sub-Registrar’s office, Revenue Department
- Courts and judicial offices
- Offices and operations under the Forest Department
- Government health and medical education
- DCP Office, Sub-ordinate offices
- Urban Local Bodies, BBMP
- MS Building by DPAR and Secretariat offices in Vidhan Soudha, Vikas Soudha P (Separate guidelines issued for functioning)
- Urban Local Bodies, Officers/Volunteers of NGO’s deployed by the BBMP, and Deputy Commissioners involved in work related to COVID 19
- All officers, staff, and offices deputed for COVID 19 related work
- All other state government employees are encouraged to work from home
Central Government Offices, Employees, Public Corporations
The following offices and corporations under the central government will function during this lockdown in Karnataka.
- Essential Services (Telecom services etc)
- Defense Services, Central Armed Police Forces, Defense PSUs, Telecommunication
- Public Utility Services including the following Petroleum, CNG, LPG, PNG
- Post Offices
- Power generation and transmission
- Disaster Management Units
- Early Warning Agencies
- Treasury- Pay and Accounts Office, Field Offices, and financial advisors of Controller General Of Accounts. (Only a minimum amount of staff is permitted)
- Reserve Bank of India
- All Central Banks
- Financial markets and Microfinance institutions run by RBI, NPCI, CCIL
- Payment System operators
- Only a minimum number of staff is permitted for banks and financial services
- Customs Clearance at borders and airports
- Railways and operation related
- National Informatics Centre
The following commercial services and private establishments are permitted to function during this 14-day lockdown
- Private banks, insurance companies, and ATM’s
- E-Commerce companies and staff involved in the distribution and home delivery
- Electronic media
- Print media
- Telecommunication, cable network, broadcasting services, and internet providers
- Unrestricted movement permitted for employees and vehicles of Telecom and internet service providers (Official ID must be produced)
- Essential employees of IT companies. (Remaining employees may work from home)
- Ware3housing and cold storage
- Aviation and all services related
- Private security
- Capital and debt market and related services
Agriculture And Industries
- Operation of all agriculture and related activities permitted
- The related activities include Dairy, Meat, Poultry, and Fisheries
- All shops, warehouses, farmlands, machinery suppliers, and workers involved in farming allowed to function during lockdown ( From 6:00 am – 10:00 am outside containment zone)
- All industries and related establishments can function during the lockdown.
- However, the garment manufacturing industry is not allowed to function during these 14 days
- The staff of these industries has to produce their official ID/authorization issued by the respective industrial establishment
Industries (Government and Private given below may operate outside containment zone)
- All industries and related establishments dealing with the manufacturing of essential goods
- Units of production where the continuous process is required
- Those Industries, Production Units, and other Industrial Establishments that operate with workers and staff who are onsite (Staying within the premises)
Construction And Related Activities (Outside Containment Zones)
- All activities related to construction permitted where they have workers and staff onsite
- The National Directives for COVID 19 management must be adhered to
- Road construction and related activities permitted
- All constructions related to medical and health infrastructure
- Preparation works before monsoon allowed
Export Related Activities
Starting from 7th June, all units engaged in export related activities can function with 30% capacity outside containment areas. Units with more than 1000 employees needs to do Covid test for at least 10% of the employees randomly in twice a week
Keep in mind that only those establishments that are outside the containment zone can operate during the lockdown period. The Chief Commissioner of BBMP and the Deputy Commissioners are to enforce these rules strictly. Section 144 of the CrPC (1973) may be used for enforcing social distancing during this lockdown.
SOPs for regulating travel in trains and airplanes will also be enforced strictly during this time.
COVID-19 Online Resources
- India COVID-19 Tracker
- CoVID-19 Red, Orange, Green Zone interactive map
- Corona Watch Mobile App from Govt of Karnataka
- COVID-19 relief funds in Karnataka
- Hospitals for COVID-19 Treatment In Karnataka
- COVID-19 Test Centres In Karnataka
- COVID 19 Helpline Numbers By Indian Ministry Of External Affairs (MEA)
- COVID-19 Testing Centers In India And State-Wise Helpline Numbers
- COVID19 India Dashboards: Covid19India, ICMR National Institute of Epidemiology, Microsoft Bing
- COVID-19 Testing – Fever Clinics In Bangalore
- COVID-19 Helpline Numbers In Karnataka
- COVID-19 List of BBMP Wards
- District-Wise COVID-19 Cases In Karnataka
- Migrants In Karnataka And Food Relief Camps During COVID-19
- Electricity Bills During Corona – Bill Generation And Payment In Karaka
- Health Bus – BMTC Bus Routes For Essential Service Workers In Bangalore
- Hydroxychloroquine Manufacturers In Karnataka