Father Muller Medical College is a premier institution for medical studies in the state of Karnataka. The college is a unit of Father Muller’s Charitable Institutions, a registered society sponsored by the Catholic Diocese of Mangalore. It is located about a kilometre from the National Highway-17 (the Mumbai-Mangalore highway) at Kankanady in Mangalore, Karnataka.
The college was established in the year 1991. It was founded as a religious minority educational institution, set up primarily for the benefit of the members belonging to the Christian Community. It started by offering postgraduate courses and later, in the year 1999 the college started offering undergraduate courses. The college is open to students from all classes of society, irrespective of caste, creed, community or religion.
The college is affiliated to the Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences (RGUHS), Bangalore. The main objective of the college is to impart quality education and produce medical doctors who can be beneficial for the society and provide care for the suffering humanity. The college has risen to prominence within a short period of time. The dedicated members of the faculty and the latest infrastructural facilities are instrumental in producing fine doctors from the college.
Father Muller Medical College has been accredited by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) with an A grade. It is the first medical college under the RGUHS to be accredited with such a grade.
The undergraduate and postgraduate degrees awarded by the college is recognized and approved by the Medical Council of India (MCI), New Delhi.
Father Muller Medical College is located in a serene atmosphere in the beautiful city of Mangalore. The college campus is spread over 40 acres of land and has all the modern facilities required for imparting quality education. The campus also houses the nursing college and Father Muller General Hospital. There are two chapels within the campus, St. Joseph Chapel and Hospital Chapel.
The medical college offers under graduate courses leading to M.B.B.S. Degree and post graduate courses leading to degrees and diplomas in the medical field. The courses offered by the institute are:
Under Graduate Medical Degree
- M.B.B.S – 4 1/2 years+ 1 year rotating internship
Post Graduate Medical Degree – 3 years
- M.D. (Medicine)
- M.D. (Pediatrics)
- M.D. (Dermatology, Veneriology & Leprology)
- M.D. (Anesthesiology)
- M.D. (Psychiatry)
- M.D. (Radio diagnosis)
- M.D. (Pathology)
- M.D. (Radio-therapy)
- MS (Surgery)
- MS (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
- MS (Otorhinolaryngology)
- MS (Orthopedics)
- MS (Ophthalmology)
- MD (Microbiology)
- MD (Biochemistry)
- MD (Pharmacology)
- PhD in Microbiology
- PhD in Biochemistry
- PhD in Pharmacology
Postgraduate Diploma – 2 years
- DCH (Pediatrics)
- DVD (Dermatology, Veneriology & Leprology)
- DA (Anesthesiology)
- DPM (Psychiatry)
- DMRD (Radio diagnosis)
- DCP (Pathology)
- DGO (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
- DLO (Otorhinolaryngology)
- D Ortho (Orthopedics)
- Masters in Hospital Administration (M.H.A.) – two years
- Master of Physiotherapy (M.P.T.) – two years
- Community Physiotherapy
- M.Sc. (Medical Laboratory Technology) – two years
- Clinical Biochemistry
- Microbiology & Immunology
- Haemotology & Blood Transfusion
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy (B.P.T.) – 4½ years including 6 months Internship
- B.Sc. (Medical Laboratory Technology) – 3½ years including 6 months Internship
- B.Sc. (Medical Imaging Technology) – 3½ years including 6 months Internship
- B.Sc. (Radio Therapy) – 3½ years including 6 months Internship
Father Muller Medical College provides excellent infrastructure facilities for the students. The major facilities available at the institute are:
- A huge Central Library with a large collection of books for study and reference
- Well furnished and spacious classrooms
- State of the art laboratories equipped with the latest instruments and equipments
- Hi tech computerized clinical laboratory with auto analysis Radio Diagnostic services that include MRI, Spiral CT Scan, Colour Doppler, Ultra sound
- Banking facility with a bank branch and an ATM inside the college campus
- Excellent facilities for gymnasium, etc.
- Amenities for several sports like basketball courts, shuttle courts
- Cafeteria for use of the staff and the students
- Canteen that provides healthy and hygienic food
- A large auditorium equipped with all modern amenities
- Separate hostel facilities for boys and girls with spacious accommodation
- Hostels have their own mess
There are several committees at Father Muller Medical College for the benefit of the students. Among the main committees are Students Grievances and Redressal Committee, Anti Ragging Review Committee and Prevention of Sexual Harassment of Students Committee. The college also has a Women Guidance Committee that helps women to overcome personal, academic or social problems.
The Student Placement and Guidance Committee help students to secure placement in various reputed organizations and hospitals.