Karnataka has about 34,000 temples and Bangalore alone has over 1,000 temples. Few of these are very ancient and pujas are no longer performed because they are under the care of archaeology department.
Temples in Aihole
Aihole was the first capital of the early Chalukyas.It is situated on the banks of the river Malaprabha and has over a hundred temples scattered around the village….more
Temples in Badami
Badami or Vatapi was the center of ancient Chalukyan glory….more
- Banashankari Amma Temple is a famous temple located in Cholachagudd near Badami, in the Bagalkot district of Karnataka.
- Bhutanatha Group of Temples along with the cave temples on the hills is the major attraction in Badami, a historical town in the Bagalkot district of Karnataka.
- Mahakuta is a place of religious significance for Shaivites. It is situated in Bagalkot in Karnataka, a few kilometers away from Badami.
- Shri Veerabhadra Temple, Godachi – Godachi is a small village famous for the Godach Fair or Jatre held during the months of November-December every year. The Godachi Jatre is held in honor of Shri Veerabhadra, the prime deity in the main temple here – the Veerabhadra temple.
Temples in Bangalore
Bangalore today is Asia’s fastest growing cosmopolitan city…..more
- Bheemalingeswara Temple is located in Kaivara, a small town in the Chikballapur district of Karnataka.
- Bhoga Nandeeshwara Temple – The Nandi hills are situated at a height of almost 1500 meters above sea level and about 45 kms from Bangalore,
- Chamarajashwara Temple in Chamarajanagar is regarded as a very important seat of Hinduism in the country.
- Channakeshava Temple in Anekal in the Bangalore Urban district is a magnificent example of the Vijayanagar style of temple architecture.
- Gaurishwara Temple, Yelandur – Yelandur was a prominent town during the Chola Rule in Karnataka. The Gaurishwara Temple is a major pilgrim and tourist attraction here.
- Gavi Gangadhareshwara Temple
- Ghati Sri Subramanya Temple in Doddaballapura is one of the most popular temples amongst the hundreds that are scattered in and around Bangalore.
- Sri Kabbalamma Temple is located in the Kabbal village in the Kanakapura Taluk of Ramanagara district.
- Muthyala Madugu in Anekal or Muthyala Maduvu is a picnic spot located a few kilometers away from Bangalore.
- Sri Shanimahathma Temple, Madhure is located a few kilometers away from Bangalore city near Nelamangala town.
- Shirdi Sai Mandir, Hoskote in Hoskote is a temple dedicated to Shirdi Sai Baba. It is situated in Hoskote, a town on the outskirts of Bangalore district.
- Venugopalaswamy Temple, Devanahalli – The name literally means ‘the abode of gods’ and has plenty of temples to its name, including the Venugopalaswamy temple in the Bangalore rural area.
- Vishwa Shanti Ashram, Arishinakunte is a spiritual center near Bangalore. It is located on the Bangalore Tumkur highway, in Arishinakunte village in Nelamangala Taluk.
- Yediyur Siddhalingeshwara Swamy Temple is located on the Mangalore- Bangalore highway (NH 48).
Temples in Belgaum
Belgaum, a charming city nestling in the foothills of the Western Ghats…..more
- Bhoo Varaha Laxmi Narasimha Temple is located in Halasi, one of the most ancient towns in Karnataka.
- Hooli Panchalingeshwar Temple is in the Belgaum district in North Karnataka. It is located at a distance nine kilometers from Saundatti, a major pilgrimage center with many temples.
- Jaina Temple in Halasi is an ancient town that lies 25 kilometers away from Kittur, in the Belgaum district of Karnataka. It is famous for its many temples – Jain, Shaivite and Vaishnavite.
- Kamal Basadi in Belgaum is one of the two Jain temples inside the Belgaum Fort.
- Kamala Narayana Temple is located in Degaon, 5 km from Kittoor in the district of Belgaum of North Karnataka.
- Saundatti Temples are located at a distance of 78 kilometers from Belgaum city, in Belgaum district of Karnataka.
- Yellamma Devi Temple is located in Saundatti taluq, five kilometers away from Saundatti town.
Temples in Bellary
Bellary is located at a distance 301 Kms from Bangalore. It is situated on the eastern side of Karnataka state……more
- Krauncha Giri is located 10 km away from Sandur in Bellary district, is the site of the famous Kumaraswami temple.
- Kuruvathi Basaveshwara Temple in Mylara is located in the Bellary district of Karnataka.
- Lingeshwara Temple in Mylara is dedicated to Lord Shiva who is worshipped by the Kuruba Gowdas in the form of Mailari. This temple is situated in the south west corner of Hadagali Taluk in Bellary district.
Temples in Belur
Belur is a small town located on the banks of River Yagachi, in Hassan district of Karnataka….more
- Chennakesava Temple was originally referred to as the Vijayanarayana temple.
Temples in Bidar
Bidar is a taluk located in the northeastern part of the state of Karnataka. Bidar is an important historical town…..more
- Aranya Devi Temple is located in Bidar district in North Karnataka. The Goddess of Sakama – Bhakti is Aranya Devi.
- Nanak Jhira Bidar Gurudwara dedicated to the Sikh Guru Nanak, is a historical shrine that is situated in Bidar in North Karnataka.
- Narasimha Jhira Cave Temple dedicated to the powerful Lord Narasimha, is also known by the names of Narasimha Zarna Cave temple and Jharani Narasimha Temple.
- Papnash Shiva Temple is situated in Bidar district in Northeast Karnataka
Temples in Bijapur
Bijapur used to be the home of the Bahamani Sultans. Adil Shah began the task of building his own tomb, quite earnestly and went on with this work for over 20 years…….more
- Sri Sangameshwara Temple in Kudalasangama is situated at the confluence of two rivers, namely River Krishna and River Malapraha, the Kudalasangama attracts a lot of devotees every year.
Temples in Chickmagalur
Chikmagalur situated in southwestern part of Karnataka, it is nestled in the Baba Budan hills…..more
- Amrutesvara Temple is located in a restful spot near the Bhadra River reservoir, in the Malnad region.
- Horanadu Annapoorneshwari in Horanadu the holy city of Chickmagalur district of Karnataka, is famous for the Annapoorneshwari Temple.
- Kalaseshwara Temple is located in Kalasa town in the Chikmagalur district of Karnataka.
- Kodandarama Temple is situated in Hiremagalur, which is a town in the Chikkamagalur district.
- Uttameshwara Shiva Temple is located in Koppa Taluq in the Chikmagalur district of Karnataka.
- Veera Narayana Temple is situated in Belavadi village in the Chikmagalur district, Karnataka.
Temples in Chitradurga
Chitradurga derives its name from Chitrakaldurga. It is located at a distance of 202 kms Northwest of Bangalore……more
- Chitradurga Temples is a fort town located in the Chitradurga district of Karnataka.
Temples in Coorg / Kodagu / Madkeri
Coorg or Kodagu (originally called Kodaimalenadu) means ‘dense forest on steep hill’…….more
- Bhagandeshwara Temple is a popular tourist destination and it is the confluence of three rivers, Sujyothi, Kanike and Cauvery.
Temples in Davangere
The city of Davangere is located at a distance of about 260 km from the state capital of Bangalore……more
- Sri Anjaneya Swamy Temple in Shamanur, Davangere district of Karnataka is a famous place of worship.
- Durgambika Temple is located in the Old town or Halepet area, Shivaji Nagar in Davangere district of Karnataka.
- Shri Guru Kottureshwara Temple in Kudligi is dedicated to Saint Kottureshwara, is a renowned temple situated in the Bellary district in Karnataka.
- Harihareshwara Temple is located in the Davanagere district near the town of Harihar.
Dharmastala kshetra is located amongst the scenic beauty of the Western Karnataka on the banks of the Nethravathi River. The temple of Lord Manjunatha at Dharmastala is the star attraction in the Karnataka…more
Temples in Dharwad
Dharwad, mentioned as `Dharawada’ in a record of the 12th century of the Kalyani Chalukyas,is a major town located in the northern part of the state of Karnataka….more
- Tarakeshwara Temple in the town of Hangal is a marvel of architectural splendor which has to be seen to be believed.
Temples in Gadag
- Amruteshwara Temple is situated in Annigeri town, Navalgund Taluq of Dharwad district in Karnataka. It is 25 km from Gadag. The main deity in this temple is Lord Shiva.
- Brahma Jinalaya is located in Lakkundi village in Gadag district, Karnataka.
- Doddabasappa Temple is located in the Dambal village in Gadag district, Karnataka.
- Kalakeshwara Temple is situated at Gajendragarh and the principal deity worshipped here is Lord Shiva.
- Kasivisvesvara Temple is located in Lakkundi in Gadag district, Karnataka.
- Mahadeva Temple was built along the plans of the Amruteshwara Temple constructed at Annigeri. It is located in Itagi, Koppal district of Karnataka.
- Nanneshwara Temple is located in Lakkundi village, Gadag district, Karnataka.
- Navalinga Temple is located in Kuknur, Koppal district of Karnataka, is popular for its temples constructed by Chalukyas and Ratrakutas. The most famous temple among them is the Navalinga Temple.
- Someshwara temple – The beautiful temple of Someshwara lies in the Lakshmeshwara temple which falls under the Gadag district of Karnataka. Lakshmeshwara is an agricultural town. The town has the beautiful Someswhara temple.
- Trikuteshwara Temple is located in Gadag in the Gadag District of Karnataka that is dedicated to Lord Shiva.
- Veeranarayana Temple is located in Gadag town, Gadag district of Karnataka.
- Venkateshwara Temple is located in the Ramenahalli Taluk which lies in the district of Gadag.
Temples in Gokarna
Gokarna is a ancient temple town and center for Sanskrit studies. It is located in Uttara Kannada district of Karnataka State…more
Temples in Gulbarga
Gulbarga is located in the northeastern part of the state of Karnataka, in the southern region of India……more
- Manik Prabhu Temple, Maniknagar is located in a small hamlet village by the name Maniknagar in a taluk town known as Humnabad in the Bidar district of North Karnataka, the Manik Prabhu Temple is dedicated to a great ascetic.
- Sri Kshetra houses the shrine of Dattatreya. Mythological studies state that Shri Dattatreya attained realization at the banks of the Bhima
- Sharana Basaveshwara Temple is situated in Gulbarga in the Karnataka state. It is dedicated to the reformer and saint, Shri Basaveshwara.
Temples in Halebidu
Halebidu is located in Hassan district in Karnataka. Ketumalla, this temple was built during 1121 A.D and attributed to Vishnuvardhana and queen Shantala Devi….more
Temples in Hassan
Hassanamba Temple is 800 years old and houses the main deity of Hassan. The temple is dedicated to Amba also known as Goddess Shakti….more
- Amaragiri Malekal Tirupati Temple – The Lakshmi Venkatramana Swamy temple is also known as Amaragiri Malekal Tirupathi temple. It lies in the town of Arsikere in the district of Hassan, in Karanataka State.
- Hasanamba Temple – The name Hasanamba has been given to the Goddess at the Hasanamba Temple and the town too is named after the presiding deity
- Ishvara Temple is located in the Hassan district of Karnataka State. It was built during the Hoysala Empire in 1220 CE.
- Lakshmi Narasimha Temple was built in the year 1246. It lies in the town of Nuggehali in the Hassan district.
- Lakshmi Devi Temple is situated at Doddagaddavalli, which is a village in the district of Hassan.
- Sri Lakshmi Venkataramanaswamy Temple – One of the most beautiful places in the state of Karnataka is the region that surrounds the Mavinakere Sri Lakshmi Venkataramanaswamy temple in the Hassan district.
Temples in Haveri
Haveri is located at a distance of about 340 km from Bangalore. The name Haveri is derived from the Kannada words havu and keri, which means place of snakes…..more
- Galageshwara Temple in the Haveri district of Karnataka is one of the most beautiful Shiva temples in the region.
- Madhukeshwara Temple is located in Banavasi town in Uttara Kannada district.
- Mukteshwara Temple – The district of Haveri in Karnataka is dotted with hundreds of temples dedicated to different Gods and Goddesses and built by various dynasties in their own styles like the Dravidian, Hoysala, Chalukyas and Vijayanagara.
- Siddhesvara Temple is situated in the district of Haveri in the Karnataka State.
Temples in Hubli
- Banashankari Temple is located in Amargol town in Dharwad district, Karnataka.
- Chandramouleshwara Temple is located in Unkal Village in Hubli-Dharwad District, Karnataka.
- Shambhulinga Temple lies in the district of Gadag. The principal deity worshipped in the Shambhulinga temple is Bhimambika.
- Shri Kalika Devi Temple dedicated to Goddess Kali, is a popular temple situated in South India.
Temples in Kemmannagundi
Kemmannagundi also known as KR Hills is located in Tarikere of Chikmagalur district in Baba Budan range. …..more
- Veerabhadreshwara Temple, Tarikere is set against the backdrop of the beautiful Kalhatti falls. The temple is constructed in a gap between two rocks.
Temples in Kolar
Kolar is located at a distance of about 68 kilometres from Bangalore….more
- Antharagange Temple is a mountain located in the Shathashrunga mountain range. It is located three kilometers from Kolar in the direction of Kolar Betta,
- Kolaramma Temple in Kolar is located along the southern region and eastern most part of state of Karnataka. The two most significant temples are Kolaramma temple and Someshwara temple.
- Kotilingeshwara Temple is the principal deity of the Kotilingeshwara temple. This temple lies in the Kammasandra village in the district of Kolar.
- Kurudmale Ganesha Temple is situated in the district of Kolar in the State of Karnataka. There is a popular Ganesha temple here which was built by the Vijayanagar kings.
- Someshwara Temple in Kolar is located 68 km from the city of Bangalore, on the Chennai-Bangalore National Highway.
Temples in Kollur
- Mookambika Devi Temple is one of the most famous pilgrimage centers in India. This temple is dedicated mainly to Parvati Devi or Shakthi, and also the Female Trinity, Mahashakthi, Mahalakshmi, and Saraswathi.
Temples in Mangalore
Mangalore district is a panorama of palm-fringed beaches, lush green fields and enchanting forests……more
- Sri Durga Parameshwari Temple is situated in the Bappanadu Mulki village of the Dakshin Kannada district. The temple is located on the banks of River Sambhavi.
- Sri Karinjeshwara Temple is situated in the town of Karinja, in the Dakshin Kannada district, is one of the most honoured pilgrim spots in Karnataka.
- Shree Durga Parameshwari Temple is located in the temple town of Kateel in Dakshina Kannada district of Karnataka.
- Kukke Subrahmanya, dedicated to Lord Subrahmanya, also called Murugan, is a Hindu temple situated in Subramanya, in the Western Ghats of Karnataka.
- Mangaladevi Temple is situated in Mangalore city at a place called Bolara.
- Nellitheertha Cave Temple is located in Nellitheertha town, which is present in the Dakshina Kannada district of Karnataka.
- Shree Panchalingeshwara Temple has been built directly without the pedestal and this is clearly visible.
- Puttur Mahalingeshwara Temple is an ancient temple which was constructed in the 12th century A.D.
- Shri Raja Rajeshwari temple, Polali – The temple is situated in the Dakshina Kannada district in Karnataka.
- Surya Sadashiva Temple is situated in the Nada Village of the Dakshina Kannada district in Karnataka.
- Thousand Pillars Temple, Moodbidri is a Jain temple in Moodbidri that is located in the Dakshina Kannada district.
- Sri Venkatramana Temple in Mangalore is of great religious significance.
- Shri Vinayaka Shankaranarayana Durgamba Temple is situated in Nandavara town in the Bantwal Taluq of Dakshina Kannada.
Murudeshwar Mahadev Temple
Murudeshwara temple dedicated to Lord Shiva, lies in the holy beach town in the Bhatkal Taluk of Uttara Kannada district in the state of Karnataka…more
- Shri Ganapathi Temple in Idagunji is in Honnavara Taluq, Uttara Kannada District of Karnataka.
- Statue of Lord Shiva is in Murudeshwara town in Bhatkal Taluq, Uttara Kannada District in Karnataka.
Temples in Mysore
Mysore or Mahishur as it was called then, traces its history back to the mythical past, when Goddess Chamundeshwari of Chamundi Hills killed the wicked buffalo-headed demon, Mahishasura…..more
- Basaralu Temple in the heart of Mandya – the Sugar city of Karnataka, there is a small village called Basaralu which contains one of the finest
- Chamundi Temple or Chamundeshwari Temple is one of the most famous temples in Karnataka.
- Cheluvanarayana Swamy Temple is a famous temple that has more religious than architectural significance.
- Lakshminaryana Temple is situated in the small town of Hosaholalu which is in the Krishnarajapet taluk of Mandya district.
- Thirunayanapuram Temple is ideally located on the Cauvery banks of the Mandya district.
- Yoga Narasimha Temple, Melukote
Temples in Pattadakal
Pattadakallu is the second capital of the chalukyan kingdom.There are ten temples including a Jaina basadi of Rashtrakuta times and also surrounded by numerous small shrines and plinths….more
Shravanabelagola in Hassan District is 157 km away from Bangalore is an important Jain centre….more
Temples in Shimoga
Shimoga is a colorful district with attractive landscape, waterfalls, green forests, river valleys and beautiful fields. ….more
- Lakshmi Narasimha Temple is a temple built by the Hoysalas in Bhadravathi, which is around 20 km from Shimoga in Karantaka.
- Talagunda Pranaveshwara Temple was known as Sthanagundur and it was a place of religious learning or agrahara. This place is the earliest agrahara found in the state of Karantaka.
- Tripurantaka Temple or Tripurantaka is one of the eminent temples in Balligave town of Shivamogga district, in Karnataka state.
Temples in Somnathpura
Somnathpur, a tiny village on the banks of the Kaveri….more
- Chennakesava Temple is located in Somanathapura town in Mysore district.
- Keshava Temple is located in Somanathapura town in Mysore district, Karnataka.
- Mudukuthore Mallikarjuna Temple is one of the Panchalinga Darshana Temples in and around Talakad.
Temples in Sringeri
Sringeri is situated on the banks of the River Tunga amidst the scenic Western Ghats. Sharada Devi is the main deity in the Sharadamba temple….more
- Shringeri Sharadamba Temple is located in Shringeri town, in the Chikmagalur district of Karnataka.
- Sringeri Sharada Peetham – Sringeri Math is located in Sringeri town in Chikmagalur district of Karnataka.
- Vidyashankara Temple is located in the holy town of Sringeri, in the Chikmagalur district of Karnataka.
Temples in Srirangapatna
Srirangapatna also spelt as Srirangapattana, is city of historic, religious, and cultural hub situated in Mandhya district of Karnataka, just about 13kms from Mysore…..more
- Karighatta Srinivasa Temple is in Karighatta a hill near Srirangapatna in Mysore, Karnataka.
- Sri Ranganathaswamy Temple – This beautiful ancient temple is located in Srirangapattana which is in the district of Mandya.
Temples in Talakad
The Kaveri river makes a sharp bend, on the left banks at this turn is the Talakad, also known as Talakadu. ……more
- Vaidyanatheswara Temple is located in Talakad, an ancient town with an interesting history. It is located In the Chamarajanagar district of Karnataka
Temples in Talakaveri
Talacauvery is situated in the Brahmagiri hill which lies in the Kodagu district. It is about a distance of 44 kilometres from Madikeri. . ……more
Temples in Tumkur
- Devarayanadurga Temple is a hill which is situated in Tumkur and has two popular temples, the Yoganarasimha and Bhoganarasimha and is a popular destination for the devotees.
- Sri Mahalakshmi Temple situated in Goravanahalli, is the abode of Goddess Mahalakshmi, goddess of wealth and prosperity.
- Shri Mahalakshmi Temple in Gubbi.
- Sree Siddaganga Mutt is an ancient and one of a kind Gurukul, situated in Tumkur, amidst the beautiful and serene landscape.
Temples in Udupi
Udupi, the Kokani city is the headquarters of the Udupi District, Karnataka state…more
- Ashta Mathas of Udupi or Monasteries of Udupi were established by Madhwacharya, the great Dvaita philosopher.
- Sree Venkataramana Temple is in Karkala Town, Katkala Taluq, Udupi District, in Karnataka.
- Udupi Sri Krishna Matha is a popular Hindu temple dedicated to Lord Krishna and is located in the town of Udupi, Karnataka.
- Yelluru Shri Vishweshwara Temple is located in Yellur Town, Udupi District in Karnataka.