Karnataka assembly by-elections for 15 seats vacated by rebel JDS – INC MLAs was conducted on December 5, 2019, according to a new announcement from the Election Commission.
The counting will be done on December 9, 2019. The ECI had on September 23rd announced that the by-polls will be held on October 21st and then decided to defer the dates.
Assembly by-elections were deferred until the Supreme Court passed an order on the plea of disqualified MLAs. The 15 constituencies were supposed to go to polls on 21st October and the counting was scheduled on 24th of the same month.
Though 17 rebel Congress-Janata Dal (Secular) MLAs were disqualified by the then speaker (KR Ramesh Kumar – INC), only 15 constituencies were supposed to go into polls. Elections in Muski (Raichur district) and R.R. Nagar (Bengaluru southwest) has been withheld due to litigation.
The strength of the assembly will be 222, post the by-polls. 106 MLAs including independent MLA H Nagesh supports the ruling party BJP. The party needs to win six seats to get the majority.
Karnataka Assembly By-Election 2019 – Candidates
A total of 248 candidates including 128 independents have filed nomination for the 15 assembly by-elections. Here is a list of candidates from 3 major political parties in the state.
|Athani||Mahesh Iranagouda Kumathalli||Gajanan Mangasuli||Guru Dashyal|
|Chikkaballapura||Dr. D. Sudhakar||M. Anjanappa||KP Bache Gowda|
|Gokak||Jarkiholi Ramesh Laxmanrao||Lakhan Jarkiholi||Ashok Pujari|
|Hirekerur||Basavanagouda Patil||B.H. Bannikod||Shivalinga Shivacharya|
|Hosakote||N Nagaraju (M.T.B)||Padmavathi Suresh||Sharath Bachegowda (JDS independent)|
|Hunsur||A H Vishwanath||P. Manjunath||Somashekar|
|Kagwad||Shrimant Balasaheb Patil||B.A. Kage||Shrishail Parasappa Tobashetti|
|K R Pura||Byarthi Basavaraj||M. Narayanswamy||C Krishna Murthy|
|Krishnarajpet||KC Narayanagowda||K.B. Chandrashekar||BL Devaraj|
|Mahalakshmi Layout||K. Gopalaiah||M. Shivaraj||Girish Nashi|
|Ranibennur||Arun Kumar MG||K.B. Koliwad||Mallikarjun Halageri|
|Shivajinagar||M Sharavana||Rizwan Arshad||Tanveer Ahmedullah|
|Vijayanagara||Anand Singh||Venkatrao Ghorpade||NM Nabi|
|Yellapur||Shivaram Hebbar||Bhimmanna Naik||Chaitra Gowda A|
|Yeshvanthapura||S.T Somashekhar||P. Nagaraj||T.N Javarayi Gowda|
Karnataka Assembly By-Election 2019 – Constituencies Vacated
The constituencies were vacated due to the rebel MLAs resignation from their respective parties. And in a recent order, SC allowed the disqualified MLAs to contest in the election.
|Constituencies||Disqualified MLAs||Part Resigned From|
|Athani||Mahesh Iranagouda Kumathalli||INC|
|Kagwad||Shrimant Balasaheb Patil||INC|
|Gokak||Jarkiholi Ramesh Laxmanrao||INC|
|Yellapur||Arabail Hebbar Shivaram||INC|
|Ranibennur||R Shankar S/O M Ramachandra||KPJP|
|Chikkaballapura||Dr. K. Sudhakar||INC|
|K R Pura||Byarthi Basavaraj||INC|
|Mahalakshmi Layout||K. Gopalaiah||JD (S)|
|Shivajinagar||R Roshan Baig||INC|
|Hosakote||N Nagaraju (M.T.B)||INC|
|Hunsur||A H Vishwanath||JD (S)|
|Raja Rajeshwari Nagar||Munirathna Naidu||INC|
Karnataka Election Expense And Interesting Facts
Based on ECI’s data
- Rs 26.32 crores are spent on this by-election
- 2018 Assembly elections cost – Rs 393 crore
- 2018 Assembly elections cost per constituency – Rs 1,754,763,220 ( Rs 175 crore )
- In the 2018 Assembly polls , BJP spent – Rs 12, 26,897,742 (Rs 122 crore) and INC Rs 344,880,318 (Rs 34 crore)
- It is estimated that on average BJP spent Rs 54 lakh on each constituency, while INC spent Rs 15 lakh
- During 2018, Rs 93 crore in cash, 540,762.89 litres of liquor and other items worth Rs 66.48 crore were seized
How Much ECI Spent On Last 3 Elections
- 2013 Assembly polls – Rs 2,865,943,504 (Rs 286 crore)
- 2014 Loksabha polls – Rs 3,201,661,521 (Rs 320 crore)
- 2018 Assembly polls – Rs 3,930,669,614 (Rs 393 crore)
Exit Poll Karnataka Bypoll
|Digvijaya News 24*7||9-11||2-4||0-2|
- 2018 Karnataka Assembly Election Results
- 2013 Karnataka Assembly Election Results
- 2004 Karnataka Assembly Election Results
- Karnataka Lok Sabha Elections 2019 – Poll Dates And More
- 2014 Lok Sabha Elections Result From Karnataka
- 2009 Lok Sabha Elections Result From Karnataka
- 2004 Lok Sabha Election Result From Karnataka