This academic year, around 20 PU colleges in Karnataka will introduce sociology into the syllabus. Now the question is what is sociology? What a PU student can learn from the syllabus and how is s/he going to benefit from studying sociology.
We co-exist with our fellow human beings in what is referred to as a society. Before sociology emerged the study of society has not been a major concern of any science. Unscientific approaches were being used to study society. The scientific study of society became a reality with the emergence of Sociology.
So, What Is Sociology?
Sociology studies society and social relationships. Sociology prioritizes social relationships because each and every relationship be it political, economic, legal or religious is also social. The main focus is on how:
- The relationships come together
- These relationships respond to change
- The ever-changing needs and demands are being handled by individuals and society
Sociology refers to the study of society, its culture, its behavior, its institutions, and categories which affects individual attitudes. Sociology rightly bears many of the issues and problems of this present world. This is the main reason why sociology
- Is considered to be of great importance
- Is considered as the best approach to all the other social sciences
How Can A PU Student Benefit From Learning Sociology?
Now that you know what is sociology, let us find out the benefits of learning it. The following are some of the major benefits of introducing Sociology along with the PU subjects.
The Student Gains A Better Understanding Of Mankind
Sociology gives more light into the social nature of human beings. Why they live in a group, community, and society? The student gains an understanding regarding the relationship between an individual and the society and the influence of society on them.
A Wide Range Of Skills Are Acquired
The skills acquired include:
- Critical faculties
Change In Attitude Towards Fellow Human Beings
Sociology gives students insight into and teaches them to appreciate the motives by which a fellow human being lives. The intrinsic worth and dignity of a human being are of utmost importance in Sociology.
The benefits also include:
- Able to study society scientifically
- Understanding the role of institutions in the development of an individual
- A better understanding of society and being able to cope with change
- Increases the capacity for social action
- Helps in effective social planning
- Helps in finding solutions to social problems
- Changes a student’s outlook towards crime and criminals
- Teaches a student how to find the underlying causes and tensions behind a national or international problem. This helps them find quicker solutions.
- A better understanding of the marginalized and weaker sections of society and working for their welfare.
- Helps a student decide if he/she wishes to pursue a higher degree in the field of Sociology.
- A professional Sociologist has much to contribute to different sectors like government, industry, business, communications, and education.
By including Sociology as a subject for a PU course the students gain a better knowledge of themselves and others. This helps them to remove unwanted class hatred and prejudices.
The belief in the dignity and worth of each and every individual enables them to be better human beings. Besides, they can also decide if they wish to pursue higher studies in Sociology.