KLE University (formerly known as KLE Academy of Higher Education & Research) in Belgaum is synonymous with quality education and services in the field of medical science. With a host of colleges dedicated to pharmacy, medicine, physiotherapy, Ayurveda, nursing and dental sciences under its aegis, the university is one of the best in the country.
The university grew from the principles of a handful of teachers, fondly remembered today as the “Rushis”. The severe lack of medical facilities in and around Belgaum prompted the founding fathers to establish the Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College in 1963.
The founder and Dean of the college, Dr. B.S. Jirge laid the foundation for the university. Under his able guidance and forethought the university slowly took shape from one medical college to a host of nationally recognized colleges for all the branches of medical sciences.
The standards of discipline and academic excellence that the university commands are part of the reason why students clamor to be a part of it.
The Karnataka Lingayat Education Society
The KLE Society or the Karnataka Lingayat Education Society is the founding father of the KLE University. Established in 1916, the education society transformed Northern Karnataka into a fertile land of educational bounty.
The society is nurturing over 205 institutions across the state. The institutions under their aegis range from medical colleges to colleges of law and information technology. The KLE University however, is their crown jewel. The college stands proud amidst the world medical colleges as listed by the WHO.
KLE University offers students an environment unlike any other in the state. The charged atmosphere fosters dedication and an unending thirst for perfection in the students and faculty alike.
Established on 13th April 2006, the University has in a few short years established its position as a premiere education institution through sheer hard-work and determination.
The University offers a wide range of courses like,
- certificate programs,
- undergraduate and
- postgraduate programs, in various fields of medical education.
Being a medical university does not limit the education choices for a student. They may choose from,
- Nursing or
Dr. Prabhakar B.Kore is the first Chancellor of the university. He has been serving KLES as the Chairman for the past 25 years. In his repertoire of posts, he has held positions in the fields of politics, agriculture, community building, co-operative endeavors and education.
His effective leadership has taken the institution through various challenges only to emerge stronger and more resilient. Dr. Prabhakar Kore has made sure that the college is not only a site of education, but a valuable addition to the country by being socially responsible and accountable. Like Dr. Prabhakar the luminaries that help run the institution are socially eminent personalities who take great pleasure in molding the next generation into socially responsible citizens.
The KLE University boasts of facilities that can rival the best in the country. The location in Belgaum is unbeatable as the city is not as metropolitan as some of the bigger cities like Bangalore. This offers the students an exact concoction of interest and an environment that fosters education.
- The teaching faculty at the university are all experienced veterans not only in the field of education but also are experts in the field of medical sciences.
- The medical research center and the teaching hospital boast of state-of-the-art facilities and medical equipment.
- The hospitals have reliable and top of the line diagnostic facilities in house.
- The hospital also has 1820 beds. Patients who cannot afford medical attention are given medical services free of cost.
- The library is equipped with wireless internet allowing students to take advantage of the digital collection housed in the library. Extensive volumes dedicated to research are available across many libraries in the University.
- The entire university is connected for wireless internet, making it one of very few tech savvy universities in the country.
- The university has collaborated with MedRC and offers students access to E-circular content meant to supplement that in-house classroom training. The Smart Teach server is one of the innovations that is proof of the institutions relentless need to achieve perfection.
Beyond the facilities related to education, the University boasts of facilities like
- Post office
- Indoor stadium
- Department store
- Travel booking facility and
- Internet access
Given that the students come from various walks of life and regions, an orientation program allows the students to ease into their new environment with minimum disruption. The KLE society has a very strict policy firmly against ragging and any kind of misdemeanor. Language classes offered in the college allow students to learn the basics of the language allowing them to better communicate with the local patients.
NAC accreditation and academic collaborations
The university has also incorporated classes on environmental education and the Indian constitution into the undergraduate classes. In an effort to incorporate its ideals with the ideals of the global village, the university has signed Memorandum of Understandings or MoUs that include academic collaborations, with WHO, ICMR and several reputed universities in SE Asia and United States of America.
Since achieving the status of a deemed university, the institution has not slowed down. The “A” grade accreditation by NAAC and being placed in the A category by MHRD has only whetted the institutions appetite for further excellence. The university has gained momentum and established
- A school of music
- Institute of public health
- Institute of clinical research
- Fellowship programs
- PhD program in health facilities and
- Interdisciplinary research
In accordance with their vision and mission of being a University in the relentless pursuit of newer horizons, the institution has broadened the field of medical education available in North Karnataka. The University believes in empowering individuals with not just an education but also with the ideals and virtues that will make them a holistic addition to the society.
DR. V.D. Patil MD, DCH
Belgaum – 590010
Phone Number: +91 83 1244 4444.