Foundation for Action, Motivation and Empowerment, India (FAME India) is a non-profit, non-governmental organisation in Bangalore. FAME India runs a special school for the differently abled children, especially from less privileged homes.
The school caters to children and young adults with neuro-muscular and developmental disabilities, such as cerebral palsy, mental retardation, Down’s syndrome and muscular dystrophy. At present the school has more than 100 students on its roll.
This special school in Bangalore, focuses on special education, early intervention, pre-vocational and vocational training. FAME India caters to children and young adults between 5 and 25 years of age.
Special Education Programs Offered at FAME India, Bangalore
The school offers the following special education programs for the children and young adults:
- Ankura: This program is meant for early intervention and early stimulation services for children above 2 years who suffer from developmental delays. The program helps in acquiring various skills. Parents are trained to be co-therapists with the multi-disciplinary team of special educator, speech therapist, physiotherapist, occupation therapist, social worker.
- Aarambh: It is a pre-school program for children in the age group of 6 to 10 years. It is meant to develop pre learning skills through individual sessions and group activities.
- Utpal I, II & III: This program caters to the needs of children in the age group of 10-14 years with emphasis on enhancing skills that are essential for activities of daily living, motor cognitive, communication and play skills.
- Utthappan: Functional academics are taught in the areas of language, numbers, money and time, along with developing appropriate social and interpersonal skills.
- Samarth I, II & III: These 3 sections are for the students in the age group of 14 to 18 years. They are taught functional academics along with pre vocational skills such as weighing, measuring, needle work, paper bag making, painting, photocopying, scanning, lamination data entry and other similar activities.
- Karuna: This program provides respite care for children who are non-ambulatory. The aim is to maintain the learnt skills.
- Uttejana: It is an awareness program for schools and colleges to educate children about issues pertaining to disability.
- Has physiotherapy department that provides required services to children and young adults
- Engages a team of speech therapists who work on improving the communication skills of the students
- Organizes counselling meets between the parents and the teachers/therapists to discuss about a child’s progress
- Carries out awareness initiative programs about the differently abled children and how they can be helped to lead a more normal life
- Organizes cultural program and special talents day named ‘Pratibha’ to showcase the talents of the students
No. 156, 36th Cross, 2nd Main Road,
Jayanagar 7th Block,
Bangalore – 560082
Phone: +91-80-2244-6621 / 2 / 3