Manipal Institute of Technology (MIT) is a highly acclaimed private engineering college throughout India. Ranked amidst the country’s top five engineering institutions, the reputation of the college precedes itself and with good reason.
The college opened its doors in 1957 with great pomp and circumstance as one of India’s first few pioneer self-financing engineering institutions. The college switched its affiliations over the years from Karnataka University to Mysore University to Mangalore University to Visveswaraiah Technological University to finally becoming a constituent of Manipal University in the year 2000.
Manipal University boasts of over 20 constituent institutions specializing in streams as varied as medicine and jewelry designing. With nearly all the colleges being ISO certified, quality is definitely a part of the genetic make-up of Manipal University.
MIT: state-of-the–art infrastructure and facilities
Apart from the quality education that the college delivers, the culturally diverse and rich environment that the college fosters through its cultural, technical and sporting events through the year separate the college from its peers. The college is a potpourri of cultures and socio-economic backgrounds with students from different parts of the world and walks of life studying together. With such diversity and rich heritages mingling, the students learn not just from text books but from the people around them.
The Institution boasts of 16 departments and a faculty of 500 distinguished members ensuring that the 6500 students in college can expect to learn from the very best in their fields. Spread over a grand total of 188 acres, the college campus offers a serene escape that fosters a creative mind, uncluttered from the hustle and bustle of life in the city.
Learning is not limited to the classrooms at Manipal, it is the inquisitive mind that is honed and sharpened through the day rather than just through questions and answers. An active alumni body comprising of over 94000 students spread across the world stands testimony to the global standards of education that the university symbolizes.
- ISO 9001 & 14001 Certified
- 16 Undergraduate and 24 Postgraduate programs
- Approved by AICTE & accredited by NBA
- Active technical and non-technical student clubs
- MoU with more than 15 foreign universities
- Practice School & International Student Exchange Programs
BTech Courses Offered at Manipal Institute of Technology
The Manipal Institute of Technology offers courses in engineering poised to start students off at a running start in a highly competitive global engineering industry. The Bachelor of Technology courses are spread over four years and are offered in the following streams,
- BTech in Printing and Media Technology
- BTech in Aeronautical Engineering
- BTech in Automobile Engineering
- BTech in Mechatronics
- BTech in Mechanical Engineering
- BTech in Instrumentation and Control Engineering
- BTech in Information Technology
- BTech in Industrial and Production Engineering
- BTech in Electronics and Communication Engineering
- BTech in Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- BTech in Computer Science and Engineering
- BTech in Civil Engineering
- BTech in Chemical Engineering
- BTech in Biotechnology Engineering
- BTech in Biomedical Engineering
- BTech in Computer and Communication Engineering
BTech Course Admission Procedure to Manipal Institute of Technology
At Manipal Institute of Technology students also have the option of being admitted directly to the second year of Bachelor education, known as the lateral BTech course. However, students need to have a Bachelor of Science degree or a 3 year Diploma of Engineering from a recognized University with at least 45% aggregate marks in order to be eligible for the program. Also students should have had Mathematics as a subject in the twelfth standard. There is an entrance test that has to be taken to test eligibility.
The eligibility for the B.Tech courses is based on the twelfth standard marks which has to be higher than 50%. Physics, English and Mathematics are compulsory courses alongside optional subjects such as technical vocational subjects, biology, biotechnology or chemistry. As with the lateral BTech course, there is a Manipal University Online Entrance Test that has to be taken to determine the eligibility of the students.
MTech courses at MIT
The MTech courses are divided into four semesters spread across two years. The courses are,
- MTech in Structural Engineering
- MTech in Software Engineering
- MTech in Printing and Media Technology
- MTech in Power Electronic Systems and Control
- MTech in Network Engineering
- MTech in Micro Electronics
- MTech in Manufacturing Engineering and Technology
- MTech in Industrial Pollution and Control
- MTech in Environmental Engineering
- MTech in Engineering Management
- MTech in Energy Management, Auditing and Lighting
- MTech in Digital Electronics and Advanced Communication
- MTech in Control Systems
- MTech in Construction Engineering and Management
- MTech in Computer Science and Information Security
- MTech in Computer Science and Engineering
- MTech in Computer Aided Mechanical Design and Analysis
- MTech in Chemical Engineering
- MTech in Bio-medical Engineering
- MTech in Biochemical Engineering
- MTech in Astronomy and Space Engineering
- MTech in Advanced Thermal Power and Energy Systems
- MTech in Industrial Biotechnology
- Master of Computer Application
Admissions are based on the rank obtained in the Manipal University Online Entrance Test. Further candidates who hold a bachelor’s degree in the related fields are eligible for a master’s degree in the same field.
Interested students may also pursue a Ph.D or Doctorate through Manipal University. Full time and part time PhD programs are offered at the University. With powerhouses like DR Krishnamoorthi Makkithaya and Dr Karunakar A Kotegar leading the PhD guide list, students can rest assured that they will learn from the very best.
The Manipal Institute of Technology is a very firm believer in continuing education outside of the four walls of a classroom. Education is not only limited to course work at MIT. Cultural events and sports are thought to be equally important if not more important than just course work at MIT.
Swimming pools, cricket, football and hockey fields, basketball, tennis and badminton courts and an air-conditioned sports complex reiterates the value that the college places on sportsmanship.
Utsav, the annual inter-collegiate cultural competition brings out the best in the students from across India. The sheer amount of talent that has upended nearly every talent stage over the years is staggering. Apart from Utsav, the college hosts numerous other fests through the year ensuring a strong balance between curricular and extra-curricular activities.
MIT Campus facilities
Classrooms: Classrooms in the Interact building and the Lecture Hall Complex of MIT are air-conditioned, tech savvy rooms. The seating arrangement in the classrooms is optimized such that all students get a clear view of the lecturer and the teaching aids despite seating over a hundred students in each room. A public address system ensures that the college is well connected in case of emergency announcements.
Convention Center: The Dr. TMA Pai International Convention Center in Mangalore offers several conference halls, auditoriums, exhibition hall, dining hall and kitchen and ample parking area. With three central air-conditioning chiller plants, two diesel generators on stand-by, elevators and escalators and landscaping and water bodies, the Convention center is built to amaze even the most jaded world traveler. The convention center is usually rented out when not in use by the university.
Innovation center: The innovation center is a boon for student entrepreneurs. It provides basic funding and other crucial resources for start-ups by students. The center aims to nurture and nourish the latent spirit of entrepreneurship, innovation and inter-disciplinary research in students and staff members.
Food and accommodation: MIT boasts of a food court that can comfortably seat and feed over 1200 students and staff members. Campus security, Wi-Fi enabled campus, uninterrupted water and electricity supply, 21 immaculate hostel buildings and ATM machines come standard with an education at the Manipal Institute of Technology.
Campus facilities that stand on par with global standards is just one of the perks of getting an education at the Manipal Institute of Technology. The university has twinning programs in the field of engineering with universities from across the world like Australia, US and UK amidst others and MoUs with over 15 foreign universities. With world class libraries, skills labs and sports complexes, an education at the Manipal Institute of Technology gives students the running head start that will change their lives for the better.
Manipal Institute of Technology
Manipal, Udupi District- 576104
Phone: +91-82-0257-1060/ 292 5522
Fax number: +91-82-0257-1071
- Engineering Colleges in Karnataka
- Engineering Colleges in & around Mangalore
- About Engineering in Karnataka
- About Manipal
- About Surathkal
- About Mangalore
- About Surathkal