Dandeli Wildlife Sanctuary is located in Uttara Kannada and covers an area of 334.52 sq mi. It is an ideal holiday destination for nature lovers. The sanctuary is easily accessible by road, rail and air. It lies at a distance of 57 kms from Dharwad which is the closest location to reach the sanctuary.
The Dandeli wildlife sanctuary is the second largest sanctuary in Karnataka and is located on the banks of River Kali. It is surrounded by thick forests and hills of the Kannada District. It has a rich diversity of the plants and animals in and around the sanctuary.
Dandeli Wildlife Sanctuary – Spot Crocodiles and Birds
The sanctuary is rich in flora and fauna. Crocodiles are a major wildlife attraction in this sanctuary. It offers a unique experience of bird watching and crocodile spotting. You can walk through the forest or enjoy bird watching. There are a variety of reptilian and amphibian species in and around the wildlife sanctuary.
You can get a glimpse of the barking deer, bison, Indian Mongolian, black panther, sambhar, tiger, leopard, elephant, flying squirrel and the Malabar giant squirrel. If you are lucky, you might catch a glimpse of the king cobra, tiger or giant iguana in the thick and dense forest.
Quick Facts about Dandeli Wildlife Sanctuary
- Best time to visit: From March to October
- Opening Hours: 00 AM to 6.00 PM
- Visit Duration: 7 to 8 hours
- Entry Fee: INR 40 per person (Indians) and INR 80 per person (foreigners)
- Camera: INR 100 per camera
- Jeep Safari: INR 40 per person
- Address: Solad Complex, J N.Road, Dandeli, Gokarna, Uttara Kannada -581326 (MAP)
Fauna at Dandeli Wildlife Sanctuary
Dandeli Wildlife Sanctuary is a paradise for bird watchers with more than 200 species of birds. The dense deciduous trees and evergreen trees, including bamboo and teak cover the entire forest area. Some of the birds include Blue throated Barbet, Great Pied Hornbill, Malabar Pied Hornbill and Peregrine falcon.
You can experience the lush forest in a forest safari and get a look at the exotic creatures in the sanctuary. Dandeli is a paradise for bird watchers and an ideal destination for nature lovers. There are various resorts in Dandeli which provide a pleasant and comfortable stay.
How to reach Dandeli Wildlife Sanctuary
The closest airport to Dandeli Wildlife Sanctuary is at Hubli which lies at a distance of 75 kms.
The nearby railway station to Dandeli Wildlife Sanctuary is in Alnavar which is 32 kms and Londa which is 48 kms from the Dandeli Wildlife Sanctuary.
The sanctuary has a well-connected road network from Bangalore, Karwar, Belgaum, Hubli and Dharwad. The nearest town is Dharwad.
Sightseeing and Activities Dandeli
Must Visit Sanctuaries and National Parks
- Anshi National Park
- Attiveri Bird Sanctuary
- Bandipur National Park
- Bankapur peacock sanctuary
- Bird Watching in Coorg
- Bannerghata National Park
- Brahmagiri Wildlife Sanctuary
- Bhadra Wildlife Sanctuary
- Daroji Bear Sanctuary
- Gudavi Bird Sanctuary
- Jayamangali Blackbuck Conservation Reserve
- Kaggaladu Bird Sanctuary
- Kokrebellur Bird Sanctuary
- Kudremukh National Park
- Magadi Bird Sanctuary
- Mandagadde Bird Sanctuary
- Nagarahole/ Rajiv Gandhi National Park
- Pushpagiri Wildlife Sanctuary
- Ranganthittu Bird Sanctuary
- Sharavathi Wildlife Sanctuary
- Shettihalli Wildlife Sanctuary, Shimoga
- Someshwara Wildlife Sanctuary, Udupi
- Tyavarekoppa Lion and Tiger Reserve, Shimoga