The Monorail is finally turning into reality after many ayes and nays. It would be implemented in two phases with an estimated length of 60 Kms. The cost is estimated at Rs 140 crore per Km, taking the total cost of the project to around Rs 8,400 crores.
Many felt Bangalore should have gone for Mono rail instead of Metro. To please every government decided to go with metro and mono rail. We call this democracy.
Monorail is very expensive and the return on investment [ROI] is very low. Mono Rail system costs Rs 120 crore per km, against Metro Rail’s Rs 75 crore per km. Metro Rail had a capacity to carry 45,000-50,000 passengers per hour, while Mono Rail can carry only 10,000-12,000 passengers per hour.
- Hebbal to JP Nagar – 34 Kms
- Peripheral Ring Road (PRR) to toll gate along Magadi Road – 9 Kms
- Kathriguppe road to National College – 5 Kms
- Hosur road to Bannerghatta – 15 Kms
Corridor I (Along outer ring road)
- Ganapati temple in JP nagar with Metro phase II
- Banashankari with Metro phase II
- Katriguppe with Metro phase II
- Mysore road with Metro phase II
- Magadi road with Metro phase I
- Tumkur road with Metro phase I
- Hebbal with high speed rail
- Chord road junction (phase I)
- Beggar’s colony junction (phase I)
Majestic – Hudson circle – Wilson Garden – Dairy circle – Agaram lake – 14.2 Kms
Wilson Garden – Banashankari – Mysore Road – Majestic 15.3 Kms
Majestic – Rajajinagar -Basaveshwaranagar -Mahalakshmi Layout – Yeshwanthpur – Malleswaram – Sadashivanagar – High Grounds – 15 Kms
Cantonment – Indiranagar – Domlur – Ejipura – Koramangala – 14.6 Kms
- Requires minimum space both horizontally and vertically
- Smaller footprint
- Feel of open space
- Grade – separated
- Emergency walkways
- Not compatible with rail
- Turnout with hish speed difficult
High Speed Rail
The state government is expecting the work to begin in February 2011. The rail will link from the center of the city to the International airport. HSRL is expected to have a travel time of 25 mins to the airport and plans to have 20 trains running daily.
The expected cost for the whole project now is touching Rs 6,990 crores up from the earlier estimate of Rs 5,770 crores.