Located 12 kilometers from Shimoga, popularly known as ‘The gateway of Malnad’, is a small village- Gajanur. This small town is enthroned with River Tunga’s presence and is home of many beautiful birds. Gajanur Dam is built across the River Tunga and is one of the scenic picnic spots for the tourists. Surrounded by lush green fields, plantations and forest, dam is a feast to the eyes.
|Built On||River Tunga|
|Bridge length||770 meter|
|Spillway length||334 meter|
|Maximum capacity||533.24 meter|
|Number of crest gates||22|
|Project||Bridge and irrigation projects|
Gajanur Dam Architecture
Gajanur Dam was built in 1972 by Mysore Construction Company (MCC). Since Gajanur is surrounded by Western Ghat it is vulnerable to heavy rain fall during monsoon. Approximately 247,000 cubic meter of concrete is laid down for the construction of dam.
The S-shaped dam was mainly constructed to provide additional irrigation possibility and for flood controlling purposes. The engineering uniqueness of this dam is that there are 22 not so huge crest gates and yet, it can handle the River Tunga’s thundering flows during monsoon. Recently height of the dam was increased.
Why visit Gajanur Dam
Peaceful weather, quiet surrounding, birds chirping around, sound of water and the green fields everywhere is an ideal vacation spot what every traveler wishes for. As the saying goes “A good river is nature’s life work in song”, the River Tunga welcomes you with its beautiful views and watershed.
When to visit
Shimoga is 569 meter above the sea level and is hedged by Western Ghats hence, weather is most of the times cold. The summers in Shimoga are between April and May and temperature increases to 36 degrees.
But, the best time to visit Gajanur dam and to watch the gushing water, is post monsoon and mid-winter which is from October to March. Operating time is from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and the visitors are allowed all year round.
Other tourist attractions around Gajanur dam
- Sakrebailu Elephant Camp: Is located 14 kilometer from Shimoga and about 2.3 kilometer from Gajanur dam and is a training and shelter place for elephants. The camp is open from 8.30 a.m. to 11 a.m. Elephants from closer forests come here to take showers in the back waters of Tunga and to have their meal.
- Bhadra River Project Dam, Lakkavalli, near Bhadravathi: Is located 54 kilometers from Gajanur dam and is about 32 kilometer from Shimoga. This dam was again an irrigation project located on Bhadra River.
- Tigar and Lion safari: This is a wild life destination located in Tyavarekoppa about 8 kilometers from Shimoga on Sagar road.
- Jog Falls: One of the beautiful water falls of Karnataka and is a must see place for tourists visiting Shimoga.
How to reach Gajanur
Gajanur Dam is about 15.9 kilometer from Shimoga.
By road: Shimoga is connected by good road network to major towns of Karnataka. Both Government and private buses are available to reach Shimoga. From Shimoga there are private vehicles to take you to the dam. But, if you are traveling by car, Gajanur is 12 km away from Shimoga on national highway NH-13, the road that goes to Thirthahalli.
By Train: Shimoga has very good railway connectivity from major towns of Karnataka and is the closest station to Gajanur.
By Air: Closest airport to Shimoga is Mangalore International Airport which is 188 kilometer away. There are trains, cabs and buses available from Mangalore to reach Shimoga. Cabs are available from the airport to reach bus or train station.
Hotels nearby Gajanur Dam
Gajanur being a small place do not have good places to stay. Shimoga is the closest city and has decent places for accommodation. Some of the hotels with good ratings are
- Royal Orchid Central
Opposite Vinayak Theatre,
Phone: +91 81 8240 1999
- Hotel Jewel RocksJPN Road, Mission Compound
Durgigudi, Shimoga- 577201
Phone: +91 81 8222 3051
- Surya Comforts3rd Parallel Rd,
Phone: +91 81 8222 1817