The Lakya Dam is a check dam built across the river Lakya, a tributary of the Bhadra River. The dam was constructed by the Kudremukh Iron Ore Company.
The dam is in a protected forest area inside the Kudremukh National Park in the Chikmagalur district of Karnataka. This dam was built to collect silt and other waste materials from the mining industries near Kudremukh.
The construction was completed in the year 1994. The leading utility of the dam is that it prevents the contamination of the water flowing further due to the pollution added to it by the wastage of the mining operations. The dam also acts as a source for irrigating agricultural lands in Kudremukh.
Lakya Dam Specifications
|Built on||River Bhadra|
|Height||108 meters above foundation|
|Utility||To collect silt and other waste materials deposited by the mining companies in and around Kudremukh and provide water supply for drinking and irrigation of agricultural land|
The dam is spread across 572 hectares and has a height of 100m. As the dam is situated inside a forest area, it is open for public visits only at specific hours. Permission from the forest department is compulsory to visit the dam, and there is a restriction on certain tourist activities near the dam area. Visitors can enjoy the dam’s beauty on weekdays from 4.30 pm to 5.30 pm. On Sundays, the dam is open to visitors from 9.30 am to 5.30 pm.
Lakhya Dam: A popular tourist attraction
Lakhya Dam stands on the outskirts of the town. Set against a backdrop of hilly landscape, graceful river and evergreen shoal forests, the Lakya dam is surrounded by mesmerizing scenic beauty. The place is ideal for family outings. An evening walk near the dam offers a beautiful experience as visitors can witness the brilliant view of the setting sun across the river.
The dam area also offers some of the most splendid views of the Kudremukh forest. The place is a huge draw for the locals and the tourists alike throughout the year.
Tourist attractions near Lakya Dam
There are several places of tourist attraction near Lakhya Dam. Some of the places frequented by tourists are:
- Ganga Moola Peak: This mountain peak is considered to be a holy place as it is the origin of three rivers, namely Netra, Bhadra and Tunga. It has been declared a ‘World Heritage Site’. It is a famous trek of the area.
- Hanumangundi Falls: This waterfall, with a height of 100 feet, is located inside the dense forests of Kudremukh. Tourists love to trek through the forest to reach the waterfall, believed to rejuvenate the body and relieve the muscles from aches and pains.
- Kudremukh Peak: The Kudremukh Peak is the highest in Karnataka. The peak has a height of 6214 ft. It has the shape of a horse’s face. The trek to the peak passes through a scenic route.
- Lord Bahubali Statue: The statue of the first Jain Thirthankar, Bahubali, is situated in Karkal. It is the second-largest statue in the state and has a height of 42 feet. The statue is depicted as a standing figure and is carved in stone.
- Chaturmukha Basadi: Chaturmukha Basadi is a famous Jain shrine located in the hilly terrains of Karkal. The shrine has four identical entrances that lead to the ‘Garbagriha.’ This ancient temple is famous for its construction and has 108 pillars supporting the black granite roof of the temple.
- Saint Lawrence Church: St. Lawrence Church, or the Miracle Church, is situated at the base of the Parapale hill and draws people of all faiths towards it. There is a famous pond nearby called Pushkarini that is believed to have healing properties.
- Barkana Falls: Barkana Falls is among the ten highest waterfalls in India. The location of the waterfall is ideal for picnics and sightseeing. The waterfall is formed by the river Sita.
- Nishani Gudda Hillock: Nishani Gudda is a mountain peak famous among tourists for its wonderful trekking route. The trekking route has a length of 3 km, and the Nishani Gudda peak has a height of 250 to 300 meters.
How to reach Lakhya Dam
Lakhya Dam is a popular tourist destination in Kudremukh. The town of Kudremukh has good road connectivity to other towns and cities of Karnataka.
Kudremukh does not have an airport of its own. The nearest domestic airport to the town is the Mangalore airport, while the nearest international airport is the Bangalore airport.
The nearest major railway station to Kudremukh is situated at Mangalore. The Mangalore station has many trains connecting it to the other towns and cities of the country.
Kudremukh has a strong network of KSRTC buses connecting it to all other major towns and cities of Karnataka. Private and public transport buses connect Kudremukh to Bangalore, Mangalore, Karkala, etc. There are A/C deluxe and luxury buses plying from Mangalore and Bangalore to Kudremukh.
Resorts, Homestays and Hotels near Lakhya Dam
The place in and around Lakhya Dam contains a number of resorts, hotels and homestays for the visitors. These places are great for staying and discovering the beauty of Karnataka. The resorts, hotels and homestays are available in various price ranges so that people of all budgets can enjoy a stay near the dam.
Contact address and phone number of some of the resorts, hotels and homestays are given below:
Phone: +91 94481 39791
K.M. Road, Mugthihalli Post,
Phone: +91 82622 24903 / 14
Fax: +91 82622 24915
Good Earth Homestay
Good Earth Plantation,
Mallandur, Chikmagalur 577101
Phone: +91 94499 17511/ 94481 35279