The long standing demand of Kannadigas to change their city names is finally done.
- December 11, 2005: Karnataka State Government accepted a proposal from UR Ananthamurthy to change Bangalore to Bengaluru.
- September 27, 2006: BBMP passes the proposal to change the name from Bangalore to Bengaluru.
- August 30, 2012: Union Government seeks comments from Survey of India on renaming of Bangalore.
- Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh’s nod came after Survey of India, Ministry of Railways, Department of Posts, Ministry of Science and Technology and Intelligence Bureau have given their No Objection and clearance for the change in the nomenclature of these 11 cities.
- October 17, 2014: Centre clears the proposal to rename Bangalore and other cities in Karnataka.
- Chief Minister Siddaramaiah announced all these cities will be renamed on November 1, 2014 (Kannada Rajyothsava day)
|Sl No||Old Name||New Name|