Shimoga Institute of Medical Sciences is a reputed institution in Karnataka imparting education in the field of medicine. Established in the year 2005, the institution has earned a name for itself within a very short span of time. The institute is located on the Bangalore-Honnavara National Highway no. 206 in the Shivamogga district in central Karnataka.
The institute is affiliated to Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences and has been approved by the Medical Council of India (MCI). It is an autonomous institution under the Government of Karnataka.
The institute provides all the high quality infrastructure and modern facilities necessary for pursuing medical studies in India. It has experienced professors and lecturers in all the departments to instruct and guide the students in their course studies. It is the only medical college in Shimoga city and can be easily reached from all parts of the city.
Shimoga Institute of Medical Sciences Campus
Shimoga Institute of Medical Sciences has a sprawling campus that is spread across 25 acres of land. The institute stands on the premises of the Government Mc. Gann Hospital at Shimoga. There are separate buildings for lecture halls, girl’s hostel, boy’s hostel and doctor’s quarters. The Government Mc. Gann Hospital is the place where students of the institute get hands-on experience and knowledge during their course of study.
Eligibility Criteria and Admission
Candidates should have passed 10 + 2 or equivalent examination from any recognized board of education to be eligible for admission to the institute. Admission is possible exclusively through the state and national level entrance tests.
Shimoga Institute of Medical Sciences offers the following under graduate, post graduate and paramedical courses.
Under Graduate Courses
- MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery)
Post Graduate Courses
- MD Anatomy
- MD Biotechnology
- MD Microbiology
- MD Pharmacology
- MD Physiology
- MD Preventive & Social Medicine
Para Medical Courses
- Diploma in Operation Theatre Technology
- Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology
- Diploma in Medical Records Technology
- Diploma in Ophthalmic Technology
Infrastructure and Facilities
Shimoga Institute of Medical Sciences is well furnished with all modern facilities. Among the facilities available at the institute are:
- Separate hostels for boys and girls
- Fully equipped laboratories
- Large and well stocked library with a digital library section
- Lecture halls
- Large Examination halls with capacity to seat 250 students
- Huge auditorium with seating capacity for 500 to 700 students
- Computer lab with internet connectivity
- Central Research Laboratory
- Recreation room
- Information centre
- Indoor games facilities like table tennis, chess, carom board, shuttle badminton, etc.
- Facilities for outdoor sports like football, cricket, volley ball, throw ball, athletics, etc.
Anti Ragging Committee
The institute has an anti ragging committee. Several members of the teaching faculty and the student representatives form the committee. The anti ragging committee is headed by the director of the institute. The institute extends all possible help to curb the menace of ragging among the students.
Shimoga Institute of Medical Sciences
Shimoga – 577201
Phone: +91 8182 229933 / 264101 / 264102
Fax: +91 8182 264100
- Ayurvedic Medical colleges in Karnataka
- Dental Colleges in Karnataka
- Medical Colleges in Karnataka
- About Medical Education in Karnataka
- About Shimoga