Pongal is celebrated in January of each year. Pongal is a must eat dish on this day. Below are two pongal recipes you can try.
Sweet Pongal/Sakkare Pongal Recipe
- 2 litres Milk
- 1 and half cups Newly harvested Rice
- Half cup Moong Dal
- 15 no. Cashewnuts
- 10 no. Almonds
- 30 no. Kishmis
- Pinch of Nutrieg Powder
- 1 and half cup Jaggery (grated) or 1 and half cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Saffron (crushed)
- 1 teaspoon Cardamom powder
- 2 tablespoons ghee
1. Chop almonds and cashewnuts.
2. Clean kishmis.
3. Pour and Boil milk in the earthen pot/ vessel and place it on fire.
4. When the milk starts boiling add washed rice and dal. As soon as the rice and dal are cooked to softness, add jaggery and ghee. Add little water if necessary.
5. Let cook on medium fire for some time and take a small kadai with ghee, roast almond, cashewnut bits, kishmis saffron, nutmeg and cardamom powders in ghee and then add to the pot of Pongal
6. Bring to one or two good boils.
Best eaten when it is fresh and hot.
Khara Pongal Recipe
- 1 cup Rice
- Half cup Moong dal
- Pinch of Aseofitoeda/ Ing
- Half- 1 tsp jeera Half-1 tsp peppercorns
- Half -1 tsp of grated Ginger
- Half tsp pepper powdered fresh
- A few Cashewnuts broken
- 1/2 cup dessicated Coconut
- A pinch of Turmeric powder
1. Fry the Moongdal a little till you get a light flavour.
2. Mix the dal with the rice, add 3 1/2 cups of water (the rice should cook very very soft)
3. Add turmeric powder, coconut, a few peppercorns and a 1-2 tsp of ghee to the rice and pressure cook till done.
4. When done, take a kadai add sufficient of Ghee to it, more the ghee better it tastes, add Aseofitoeda, jeera, pepper corns and cashewnuts roast, and grated ginger.
5. Add the cooked rice mixture, add pepper powder, salt and mix well with the ghee and jeera/cashewnuts.
Add little ghee to taste. Serve it with Coconut Chutney, or Onion/Tomato Raita, or pickle. Best eaten when it is fresh and hot.