Netrani island, an island in Karnataka assumes the name ‘The Heart Shaped Island’ owing to its form that is naturally shaped like a heart. Located in the Arabian sea, about 19 kms from Murudeshwar, it is also called the Bajrangi island and Pigeon island. It is situated in Bhatkal taluk in Uttara Kannada district and locally addressed as Nitra Gudo. Netrani island fascinates tourists who are interested in underwater adventure.
Scuba Diving in Netrani Island
Scuba diving draws the adventurous lot to Netrani island. It provides an exhilarating experience to the divers who venture into the waters, while the boats are anchored close to the shore. Tourists can get to see some amazing variety of fish and coral while scuba diving in Netrani island. Regular trips are organised by dive shops from Murudeshwar and Goa. The cost of Scuba diving in Netrani island starts at Rs.5,000/-
Things to do in Netrani Island
- Scuba diving attracts a lot of tourists to Netrani Island. It provides an amazing underwater world experience.
- Tourists can also engage in snorkeling in Netrani island.
- Netrani island is a coral island with a stunning variety of reef fish that includes butterfly fish, parrot fish, Trigger fish, Shrimp and Eel. A study reveals that there are about eighty-nine varieties of coral fish. Apart from this, whales, Orcas, Cobia, Napoleon Wrasse, Tip Sharks Stonefish, Great Barracuda, Black Tip Sharks, Turtles and Stingrays etc are said to inhabit the waters of Netrani island.
- The tourists also pay a visit to the Bajranbali temple in Netrani island. It is said that Lord Hanuman while on his mission to rescue Lakshmna has said to have worshipped Lord Rama here as stated in the Vibhishan Purana.
- Netrani island serves as a home to pigeons, wild goats, fish eagles and mongoose etc. However, the island is too rocky and impedes tourists to get on to it.
How to reach Netrani island
The distance from Murudeshwar to Netrani island.
Murudeshwar to Netrani island is about 20 km and can be reached only by boat. It takes about 1.5 hours to reach Netrani island from Murudeshwar beach by boat. The boat ride from Murudeshwar to Netrani island costs about R.2,000 per person and is negotiable.
Mangalore airport is closest to Murudeshwar, which is about 156 kms.
Murudeshwar Railway station connects the major cities of India via Mumbai and Mangalore. The station is just 2 km from the town.
One can take private buses from Mumbai, Kochi and Bengaluru to reach Murudeshwar in order to further travel to Netrani Island. Enroute Mangalore, there are buses that ply between Mumbai and Murudeshwar as being located on NH17.
Is Netrani island worth visiting?
Netrani island is worth visiting if you are interested in adventure.