Every family residing in Karnataka is eligible to avail an Above the Poverty Line (APL) card. It is one of the recognized address and identity proofs by both the state and the central government agencies. APL card in Karnataka is a document issued by the state government for its citizens under the public distribution system based on the annual income of a household.
A Karnataka APL card serves three purposes:
- It can be used as Identity proof of nationality and domicile
- It indicates economic status of the citizen in the state
- Mainly a citizen can purchase essential commodities from fair price shops
Types of Ration Cards Issued In Karnataka
The state government issues three distinct ration cards based on the economic status of its citizen.
- APL cards for families living Above Poverty Line (APL)
- BPL cards for families living Below Poverty Line (BPL)
- Anthyodaya Anna Yojana cards are issued to poorest of the poor families living in rural area and urban slums
There is a facility of honorary cards for families who don’t want to purchase commodities but need the cards for identification purpose.
What You Can Do With An APL Card in Karnataka
Through APL cards one can purchase essential commodities in a subsidised price.
It can be used a identification tool and now a day a citizen has to submit a photo copy of APL card inorder to avail different facilities such as to enrol your name in the Electoral list, LPG connection, income certificates and helps to avail benefits from various government schemes.
How To Apply For APL Card In Karnataka?
The application for a new APL card should be submitted in the prescribed form. An applicant can file his application through any service kiosk like Bangalore One/Karnataka One or in Gram Panchayaths.
Public can also submit applications online. In rural areas, applicants can use computer centres which are available in their Gram Panchayath.
Residents of the city areas can submit their application through any cyber centre or they can submit application in taluk office, assistant director or vice president office in food and civil supply department.
APL Card In Karnataka – The Application Procedure
- The applicant and her/his family members who want to be added in the APL card should provide Aadhar based bio-metric authentication while filling the application.
- Bio metric authentication is not necessary for the children below 5 years and submitting Aadhar card is a mandatory.
- Applicants and other members of the household should submit their Aadhar cards while submitting the application.
- All the details of an applicant which has been entered in the Aadhar card like name, photo, age, sex, address etc will be entered into the APL card application.
- If applicant is from urban area then he should select his ward number or if it is from rural area he should select his Gram Panchayath.
- All family members should preferably go together. If they visit the office separately then every time they has to pay application fee i. e Rs 50.
- The application sent through different modes will be send to concerned office (ward/Gram Panchayath) for the verification.
After necessary verification an applicant will receive his APL card.
APL Card In Karnataka Application – Documents Required
- The passport size photo of an applicant
- Latest LPG receipt on the name of the applicant
- Latest tax paid receipt
- Latest rent paid receipt (in case applicant lives in a rented house)
- Residential address
- Details of property
- Copy of electricity bill
- Details of every members annual income.
- Ward number
- Date of birth, occupation and annual income details of other members
APL Card In Karnataka – 8 Frequently Asked Questions And Answers
Q1. Should the application be submitted online?
Yes, applications should be submitted only through online. Handwritten or printed applications are not accepted.
Q2. We are shifted to another city. Am I eligible to apply for APL card?
Yes, but you have to surrender certificate for your previous APL card.
Q3. Is it mandatory to submit details of annual income?
Yes, it is mandatory to submit the income details of every member in the family.
Q4. We are in a rented house can we submit an application for the APL card?
You can submit application for APL card. But you should clearly mention the amount of rent you are paying to your landlord.
Q5. Whether I should give property tax number?
Yes, it is better to give property tax number. So you can stop others taking an advantage in your name.
Q6. What is the procedure for filling application for new APL card?
Applicants can visit the Department of Food, civil supplies and Consumer Affairs website to generate APL card. Public can follow this link http://ahara.kar.nic.in to apply for a new APL card.
Q7. Is Aadhar mandatory?
After entering the Aadhar number, the applicant has to go for authentication. Applicant can choose one time password (OTP) to the mobile number registered with Aadhar or finger print verification.
After the verification, detailed mentioned in Aadhar will be displayed on the application. If all the details are accurate then applicant can take further action and application number will be generated.
In case ay member’s name appears on another APL card, then applicant has to delete those duplicate names. Without this action applicant cannot apply for new APL card.
When application form gets open, the applicant should enter all t he required details of the members in his family.
After editing all the details, an application number will be displayed on the screen. Applicant can use that number to make changes or to edit the application. Same procedure can be followed to add other members to the application.
Applicant can use delete/Add button available in the application to add to or to remove members name mentioned in the application.
Q.8 How long will it take for the APL card to reach you?
After entering all the necessary information, the application will go for verification. After the verification, the copy of the
- How to Apply for Ration Card in Bangalore
- How to Apply for
VoterID card in Karnataka
- How To Avail The Benefit Of Ayushman Bharat Yojana or Arogya Karnataka?
- How to Obtain A Marriage Certificate in Karnataka
- How To Apply For Caste And Income Certificates In Karnataka?