Every family residing in Karnataka is eligible to avail of an Above the Poverty Line (APL) card. It is one of the recognized address and identity proofs by both the state and the central government agencies. APL card in Karnataka is a document issued by the state government for its citizens under the public distribution system based on the annual income of a household.
A Karnataka APL card serves three purposes:
- It can be used as Identity proof of nationality and domicile
- It indicates the economic status of the citizen in the state
- Mainly a citizen can purchase essential commodities from fair-price shops
Types of Ration Cards Issued In Karnataka
The state government issues three distinct ration cards based on the economic status of its citizen.
- APL cards for families living Above Poverty Line (APL)
- BPL cards for families living Below Poverty Line (BPL)
- Anthyodaya Anna Yojana cards are issued to the poorest of the poor families living in rural areas and urban slums
There is a facility of honorary cards for families who don’t want to purchase commodities but need the cards for identification purposes.
What You Can Do With An APL Card in Karnataka
Through APL cards one can purchase essential commodities at a subsidised price.
It can be used as an identification tool and now a day a citizen has to submit a photocopy of an APL card in order to avail of different facilities such as enrolling your name in the Electoral list, LPG connection, income certificates and helps to avail benefits from various government schemes.
How To Apply For APL Card In Karnataka?
The application for a new APL card should be submitted in the prescribed form. An applicant can file his application through any service kiosk like Bangalore One/Karnataka One or in Gram Panchayaths.
The public can also submit applications online. In rural areas, applicants can use computer centers that are available in their Gram Panchayath.
Residents of the city areas can submit their applications through any cyber centre or they can submit applications in the taluk office, assistant director, or vice president office in the food and civil supply department.
APL Card In Karnataka – The Application Procedure
- The applicant and her/his family members who want to be added to the APL card should provide Aadhaar-based bio-metric authentication while filling out the application.
- Biometric authentication is not necessary for children below 5 years and submitting Aadhaar card is mandatory.
- Applicants and other members of the household should submit their Aadhar cards while submitting the application.
- All the details of an applicant which has been entered in the Aadhar card like name, photo, age, sex, address etc will be entered into the APL card application.
- If applicant is from urban area then he should select his ward number or if it is from rural area he should select his Gram Panchayath.
- All family members should preferably go together. If they visit the office separately then every time they has to pay application fee i. e Rs 50.
- The application sent through different modes will be send to concerned office (ward/Gram Panchayath) for the verification.
After necessary verification an applicant will receive his APL card.
APL Card In Karnataka Application – Documents Required
- The passport size photo of an applicant
- Latest LPG receipt on the name of the applicant
- Latest tax paid receipt
- Latest rent paid receipt (in case applicant lives in a rented house)
- Residential address
- Details of property
- Copy of electricity bill
- Details of every members annual income.
- Ward number
- Date of birth, occupation and annual income details of other members
APL Card In Karnataka – 8 Frequently Asked Questions And Answers
Q1. Should the application be submitted online?
Yes, applications should be submitted only online. Handwritten or printed applications are not accepted.
Q2. We are shifted to another city. Am I eligible to apply for an APL card?
Yes, but you have to surrender the certificate for your previous APL card.
Q3. Is it mandatory to submit details of annual income?
Yes, it is mandatory to submit the income details of every member in the family.
Q4. We are in a rented house can we submit an application for the APL card?
You can submit an application for an APL card. But you should clearly mention the amount of rent you are paying to your landlord.
Q5. Whether I should give a property tax number?
Yes, it is better to give a property tax number. So you can stop others from taking advantage of your name.
Q6. What is the procedure for filling application for a new APL card?
Applicants can visit the Department of Food, civil supplies, and Consumer Affairs website to generate an APL card. The public can follow this link http://ahara.kar.nic.in to apply for a new APL card.
Q7. Is Aadhar mandatory?
After entering the Aadhar number, the applicant has to go for authentication. Applicants can choose one-time password (OTP) to the mobile number registered with Aadhar or fingerprint verification.
After the verification, details mentioned in Aadhar will be displayed on the application. If all the details are accurate then the applicant can take further action and the application number will be generated.
In case ay member’s name appears on another APL card, then the applicant has to delete those duplicate names. Without this action, an applicant cannot apply for a new APL card.
When the application form gets open, the applicant should enter all the required details of the members of his family.
After editing all the details, an application number will be displayed on the screen. Applicants can use that number to make changes or to edit the application. The same procedure can be followed to add other members to the application.
Applicants can use the delete/Add button available in the application to add to or remove member’s names mentioned in the application.
Q.8 How long will it take for the APL card to reach you?
After entering all the necessary information, the application will go for verification. After the verification, the copy of the