Kasturba Medical College is acknowledged as one of the top five medical institutions of the country. Established on 30th June, 1953, by the late Dr. Tonse Madhava Anantha Pai, an eminent physician, educationist, banker and philanthropist, the college was the first private sector institution for medical studies in India.
The premier co-educational college is located in the picturesque hill station of Manipal in Karnataka. Initially it was set up with just the pre-clinical section at Manipal and the clinical training was conducted in Mangalore. In 1969 the clinical programme started at Manipal and the Kasturba Medical College started functioning as a full-fledged independent college.
The Medical Council of India (MCI) granted recognition to the college in 1958 when the first batch of students graduated from the college. Apart from MCI the college is also recognized by the General Medical Council of Great Britain and the Malaysian Medical Council. Today the courses and degrees of Kasturba Medical College are recognized worldwide. A unique feat of the college is that students from 44 countries from around the world have graduated from here.
The medical college is affiliated to the Manipal University of Karnataka, whose degrees are recognized in all countries of the world.
Kasturba Medical College Campus
Kasturba Medical College stands in the serene locales of a town that overlooks the Arabian Sea. The 200 acre green campus of the college is one of the most beautiful campuses for academic pursuits. The fine weather condition adds to the charm of the place. The grand 4 storey building of the college stands witness to a rich culture of academic excellence associated with the college. Equipped with all the modern infrastructure and facilities, the college offers one of the finest environments for learning in south Asia.
Eligibility Criteria and Admission
Eligibility for M.B.B.S. Course: Candidates should have passed 10 + 2, A Level, IB, American 12th grade or equivalent with Physics, Chemistry, Biology and English with a minimum of 55% marks in Physics, Chemistry and Biology taken together to be eligible for admission to the M.B.B.S. course of the college.
Admission to the medical college is possible through the entrance test conducted by the Manipal University. The Manipal University Online Entrance Test (MUOET) is a computer based test that is conducted several times during the months of April and May each year. Candidates can appear for the test on their selected date. Based on the performance of the candidate and the marks obtained in the test the university comes out with a merit list of all the candidates who appeared for the entrance test. Admission is granted to the candidates on the basis of this merit list.
Kasturba Medical College offers under graduate program and several post graduate programs under the medical stream of study. The courses offered by the college are:
Under Graduate Course
- MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery) – 4 ½ years course plus 1 year of compulsory rotating internship
Post Graduate Courses
Doctor of Medicine (M.D) – 3 years course (2 years for those with a 2 year recognized diploma in the same specialty)
- MD Anaesthesiology
- MD Anatomy
- MD Biochemistry
- MD Community Medicine
- MD Dermatology, Venereology and Leprosy
- MD Forensic Medicine
- MD General Medicine
- MD Hospital Administration
- MD Immunohematology & Blood Transfusion
- MD Microbiology
- MD Pediatrics
- MD Pathology
- MD Pharmacology
- MD Physiology
- MD Psychiatry
- MD Pulmonary Medicine
- MD Radio-diagnosis
- MD Radio-therapy
Master of Surgery (M.S) – 3 years course (2 years for those with a 2 year recognized diploma in the same specialty)
- MS General Surgery
- MS Obstetrics & Gynaecology
- MS Opthalmology
- MS Orthopaedics
- MS Oto-Rhino-Laryngology
Post Graduate Medical Diploma – 2 years course
- Clinical Pathology
- Child Health
- Dermatology, Venereology and Leprosy
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology
Master of Science (M.Sc.)
- M.Sc. Clinical Embryology – 2 years course
- M.Sc. Yoga Therapy – 2 years course
- M.Sc. Medical – 3 years course in Anatomy, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Pharmacology and Physiology
Super Specialty Courses
- Doctor of Medicine (DM) – 3 years course in Cardiology, Neurology, Gastroenterology and Nephrology
- Master of Chirurgical (MCH) – 3 years course in Cardiothoracic Surgery, Neuro Surgery, Pediatric Surgery and Urology
- M. Phil Psychiatric Social Work – 2 years course
• Post Graduate Certificate Course in Panchakarma – 6 months course
Kasturba Medical College provides excellent infrastructure and facilities for imparting global standard education to the students. The college has the latest equipments and technologies to teach the students. Among the many facilities offered by the college the major ones are:
- Spacious, centrally air-conditioned and well furnished hi-tech classrooms, each large enough to accommodate more than 100 students
- Large lecture halls equipped with teaching and learning aids like public address system
- Sophisticated laboratories having the latest instruments and equipemnts
- Well stocked modern library with thousands of books and national and international journals, internet service, Wi-Fi connection, audio-visual services, photocopying services and other facilities
- Computer kiosk to search for online books and journals
- Sports and recreational facilities
- Internship facilities
- Hostel that provides safe and secure accommodation with all facilities for a comfortable stay
Kasturba Medical College offers excellent research opportunities in different fields of medical science for candidates who want to pursue research activities. Several research projects, conferences, publications, seminars and other activities are carried on in each department of the college. Students as well as faculty members pursue research activities at the college.
Anti Ragging Committee
The educational institution strictly prohibits ragging within or outside the college campus. The college has an anti-ragging committee that takes action against ragging in any form, direct or indirect. The college follows appropriate action including suspension, cancellation of admission, rustication and rigorous imprisonment of any student who commits or encourages an act of ragging.
Kasturba Medical College stands tall among all other medical colleges of the country. With its glorious record of more than half a century of imparting high quality education and producing brilliant doctors and medical professionals, the college is one of the best places to pursue medical studies in the country.
Kasturba Medical College
Manipal – 576104
Phone: +91 92437 77733