Established in 1980 by the National Education Society, Jawaharlal Nehru National College of Engineering (JNNCE) has roots embedded in the noble fight for our freedom. The National Education Society was initiated by the erstwhile Freedom Fighters of India in Malnad.
Today the college still bears a torch to the values upheld by the freedom fighters. Affiliated to the Visveswaraiah Technological University in Bangalore, the college degree holds great value in the world of research and development and industry.
The value of the college is also furthered by an accreditation from the National Board of Accreditation. The college is approved by the Government of Karnataka and the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE). With all the approvals and the accreditation the college has accumulated, an education obtained from the college is bound to put students on to successful career paths.
The Jawaharlal Nehru National College of Engineering (JNNCE) offers several courses tailor made to direct students toward fulfilling careers. The undergraduate courses that the college is offering is contained within the Bachelor of Engineering umbrella. The undergraduate courses are listed below,
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Information Science Engineering
- Telecommunication Engineering
The college is also offering post graduate courses in the fields of engineering and Business Administration. Students can pursue a Master of Business Administration, Master of Computer Application or Master of Technology course in the college. The MBA degree specializations include
- Human resource management
The Master of Technology or Master of Science degree specialization maybe in the following fields
- Computer Science and Electronics
- Network and Internet Engineering
- Design Engineering
- Transportation Engineering and Management
- Computer Integrated Manufacturing
- Digital Electronics and Communication Systems
The college also boasts of research centers where students may obtain their doctorates. The following departments have laudable research and development centers,
- Civil engineering
- Mechanical engineering
- Electrical engineering
- Electronics and communication engineering
- Computer science engineering
- MBA department
With over 10000 graduates in several fields the college definitely has played a key role in building the brain power of our nation. The contributions that the students of this college made have been instrumental not only in India but also in other countries across the world. Students have been placed in academic institutions, research and development organizations, industries and government departments across the world. The innovative technical education and training has been instrumental in the success stories of numerous students. The college remains focused on producing competent manpower to fulfill the ever changing industry requirements.
Facilities at Jawaharlal Nehru National College of Engineering, Shimoga
In various rankings by the Outlook-MDRA and the Vijaya Karnataka-Nelson, Jawaharlal Nehru National College of Engineering has obtained respectable positions underscoring the value of the college. It has been placed in the 7th and 3rd place respectively amidst colleges in the state and the west coast central zone.
The campus is spread over a sprawling 40 acres in Shimoga. The campus has nearly everything that the 2500 students and the 300 staff members could ever need in the pursuit of a holistic education.
The facilities available on campus include
- A well-equipped Chemistry lab and an environmental science lab.
- A well-endowed physics laboratory.
- A well-stocked library that is regularly updated.
- The electronics and communication engineering department is housed in a three stories building with all the modern facilities, including labs of application, microprocessor systems, power and industrial electronics, communication and analog and digital electronics.
- The computer department has numerous laboratories for Linux, LAN, Windows NT, Hardware, RDBMS and multimedia workstations. All the labs are outfitted with the latest computers and internet facility for students and staff members.
- The department of telecommunication engineering is also housed in a modern three story facility where some of the labs are shared with the electronics and communication department.
- The department of mechanical engineering boasts of an energy park which came into existence under the aegis of the MNES, department of Government of India. All the laboratories in the department are outfitted with CNC trainer kit facilities.
- The department of electrical and electronics engineering has numerous labs including the high voltage lab, controls and relay lab, power and industrial electronics lab, electrical machinery lab and the circuits and measurements lab.
- The department of civil engineering has well-appointed laboratories equipped to conduct cutting edge research and development projects.
Notable achievements of Jawaharlal Nehru National College of Engineering, Shimoga
The chemistry department is actively involved in active research in the environmental science arena. The department is conducting AICTE and KPCB research projects in the field of air and water pollution.
The staff at the department of physics is involved in several research activities and publish papers consistently.
The mathematics department is also involved in research and publishes papers regularly. The prestigious 12th annual Ramanujam Mathematical Society conference was conducted under the aegis of the mathematics department in 1997.
With state level workshops on “fiber optic communication” and several AICTE and MODROBS projects, the electronics and communication department is well on its way to gaining international recognition.
The mechanical engineering department has contributed numerous papers to national and international journals. The department staff and students are engaged in various research and development activities. Visveswaraiah Technological University has singled out the mechanical department as a research center to carry out their own research studies and development.
Student projects from the electrical and electronics engineering department have been chosen by the KSCST for several seminars and exhibitions.
The college has a well-appointed placement department. The placement cell offers training programs that give students a working knowledge of interviews and how to ace them. They also have workshops on personality development, communication and aptitude.
The Jawaharlal institute has signed MOU with HCL, TCS, Wipro, Sri Ram Values and Keane international. Apart from these companies, a lot of reputed companies across various industries convene in the college to scout for the brightest talents in house.