Tucked away in the forests of the Western Ghats, Rainforest Retreat beckons visitors to unwind and relax in the middle of an organic farm. While most resorts and hideouts in and around Coorg focus on nature and luxury, this retreat offers you an experience of eco-tourism at an altitude of 1100m from the sea level.
Located in the Kodagu district of Karnataka, it is a haven you would not want to miss if you are on the lookout for a unique holiday experience.
Rainforest Retreat stands within an organic spice plantation (Mojo Plantation). Enveloped by rolling hills and green forested valleys, this plantation is a naturalist’s paradise. It is home to a rich biodiversity.
The plantation is densely populated with native trees. Cardamom, vanilla, coffee, kokum, black pepper and a variety of fruits are produced in abundance in the plantation. Civet Coffee, one of the world’s most exclusive varieties of coffee, is grown on the plantation. All items are organically cultivated under the canopy of rainforest trees.
Accommodation facilities at Rainforest Retreat
The eco-lodge of the Rainforest Retreat provides simple and comfortable accommodation for visitors. Both vegetarian and non-vegetarian food is available at the hideout. Three types of accommodation choices are available at the retreat.
- Deluxe Guesthouses: The eco-lodge has two deluxe cottages that will offer you a comfortable stay in the cocoon of various trees, with a clear stream flowing nearby. Powered by eco-friendly solar lighting and attached with western bathrooms, the cottages are devoid of electricity, telephone or television in the rooms. In case you want to remain connected with the outside world during your stay, there is a Wi-Fi zone nearby.
- Plantation Cottage: This rustic cottage comprises of two rooms, each equipped with solar lighting, western toilet and fireplace. You can enjoy a secluded stay at the cottage that stands 200m inside the plantation.
- Tents: For the more adventurous visitors there are two furnished tents situated near the Plantation Cottage. The tents offer an amazing view of a valley full of cardamom and fruit plants. Furnished with beds and basic furniture, each tent can accommodate 2 or 3 guests. Washroom and toilet facilities are located a few metres away from the tents.
Sightseeing and recreational activities at Rainforest Retreat
A variety of recreational activities and sightseeing options makes it worthwhile to plan a stay at the Rainforest Retreat. While at the hideout you can do the following:
- Explore isolated and idyllic valleys and rainforests
- Go on a thorough tour of mojo plantation
- Learn about organic cultivation of cardamom, vanilla, coffee and black pepper under the shade of rainforest trees
- Try angling for Mahseer in the Cauvery River flowing nearby
- Watch more than a hundred species of birds in and around the plantation
- Go trekking along some of the most beautiful trek routes in and around the area
- Enjoy leisurely nature walks
- Discover the rich biodiversity of the plantation
- See exquisite and rare orchids blooming in their natural habitat
- Sit around a campfire at night and listen to the sounds emanating from the rainforest
- Gaze at the clear tropical skies while lying on the ground at night
- Learn about the various biological pest control methods that are developed and practiced at the Research Farm
- Visit other plantations situated nearby to discover their unique charms
- Take a trip to Dubare Elephant Camp
- Visit the Namdroling Nyingmapa Monastery in Bylakuppe
Booking Information: Rainforest Retreat
Rainforest Retreat can be booked at an affordable rate. Tariff for accommodation includes bed and breakfast and a half-day trek or plantation tour (depending on timing). To get updated information on tariff rates, payment methods and other details visit their tariff page.
Note that the retreat charges an additional 10% service charge on all bookings.
Reaching Rainforest Retreat
The Mojo Plantation and the Rainforest Retreat is located at a distance of 260 km from Bangalore and 130 km from Mysore. The nearest town is Madikeri, situated at a distance of 10 km from the retreat.
The regional airport at Mangalore is the nearest airport to reach the retreat. It is located at a distance of 150 km from the Rainforest Retreat. The nearest railway station is about 115 km away and is situated at places like Kasaragod, Thalassery, Kanhangad and Hassan. Taxis and private vehicles can also be hired from Bangalore, Mysore and Mangalore to reach the retreat.
Regular bus services connect Madikeri to different towns and cities of the state. There are taxis and auto rickshaws available from Madikeri to reach the retreat.
P.O. Box 101,
Karnataka – 571201