Shanti Falls is a refreshing sight that awaits visitors on their trek to Z Point in the lush green forest stretch of Kemmenagundi. The waterfall is located at a distance of around 55 km from the town of Chikmagalur in Karnataka. The beauty of the falls attracts visitors and trekkers alike who often treat the place as a stopover before resuming their journey towards Z-Point that is situated about 2 km from the waterfall.
The beauty of Shanti Falls
Nestled in the green surroundings of Chikmagalur district the Shanti Falls is a natural wonder. The water flows from the top of a hill and reaches down to the valley below. The cascading waterfall forms a stunning view against the backdrop of luxurious green cover. Even the road leading to the waterfall winds through deep valleys on one side and woody hills on the other side. The waterfall cascades down to create a natural pool that is believed to have remarkable medicinal qualities.
The most interesting fact about this waterfall is that its water remains extremely cold even during the hot summer months. As such, visitors make it a point to enjoy a swim in the cool waters of the Shanti Falls.
Apart from the scenic beauty of the waterfall the remote place is free from all kinds of disturbances. The only sound that can be heard at the place is that of the water gushing down the rocks and the occasional bird cooing somewhere in the wide forest stretch. The area surrounding the waterfall and the natural pathway leading to the waterfall is also very clean. Away from the din and bustle of city life, this waterfall is truly a spot of natural beauty.
Best time to visit the Shanti Falls
The best time to go on a trip to the Shanti Falls is during the early winter season or the late monsoon season. It is ideal to visit the waterfall between 6 am to 6 pm, when there is ample daylight in the area.
Attractions near the Shanti Falls
There are several tourist destinations that are worth a visit during a trip to the Shanti Falls. Among the main attractions are:
- Hebbe Falls: This beautiful waterfall descends from a height of 168 meters in two stages and forms Dodda Hebbe (Big Falls) and Chikka Hebbe (Small Falls).
- Kemmangundi: This is a famous hill station of Karnataka. Situated at a height of 1434 meters and surrounded by dense green forests the hill station enjoys a pleasant climate throughout the year. The spectacular hill station has several mountain streams and lush vegetation.
- Z Point: It is a trekking point that is located at a distance of 2 km from the Shanti Falls. It is a steep uphill trek that offers spectacular views of the surroundings from the top.
- Rose Garden: It is a delightful garden of roses that is maintained by the Horticultural Department of Karnataka. Several varieties of roses are cultivated in this garden.
- Kallathigiri Falls: This waterfall has a height of 122 meters and flows down from the top of the Chandra Drona hill. The waterfall presents a fascinating view to the visitors.
Accommodation near Shanti Falls
There are no proper accommodation facilities available near the waterfall. The nearest place where good hotels and resorts can be found is Chikmagalur. It is a scenic place with several hotels, homestays and resorts that cater to visitors of different budgets.
How to reach Shanti Falls?
The nearest town to reach Shanti Falls is Chikmagalur.
- By Road: The nearest bus stand is located in Chikmagalur. There are frequent government buses that operate from Bangalore to Chikmagalur, including the luxurious Volvo buses. Private buses also operate on the Chikmagalur route. Visitors can also hire private taxis and vehicles to reach the waterfall comfortably.
- By Air: The district of Chikmagalur does not have an airport. The nearest airport is located at Mangalore.
- By Train: Chikmagalur has a railway line that has been operating since last year. A daily passenger train operates on the line from Shimoga via Kadur.
- About Chikmagalur
- Water falls in Karnataka
- Dams in Karnataka
- Rivers in Karnataka
- Trekking in Karnataka