Main Ashram: Puttaparthi, Andhra Pradesh
Sri Sathya Sai Baba was one of the most influential spiritual leaders of the modern era. There are three ashrams of Sathya Sai Baba. His main ashram is situated at Puttaparthi in the Anantpur District of Andhra Pradesh. His two other ashrams are located in Bangalore and Kodaikanal. The Bangalore ashram was established by the Baba on 25th June 1960 near the Whitefield Railway Station. It is managed by Sri Sathya Sai Central Trust.
Sai Baba Ashram, Whitefield – An Overview
The ashram at Whitefield is known as the Brindavan Ashram. It is situated at a distance of 24 km from the heart of the city. This place was the summer home of Sai Baba and he used to spend about three months every year at this ashram. The Baba had a larger than life persona and had devotees spread all over the world. A huge number of people used to visit the ashram during his stay there every year.
The ashram has a sprawling campus away from the noise and pollution of the city life. The atmosphere is calm and serene. The place has been planned and built keeping in mind the various people who visit it to feel the essence of spirituality and to be healed by the godman himself. There are no steps or stairs inside the ashram except at the accommodation quarters. There are ramps that lead to the hall where the Baba used to meet the devotees. There is also provision for entering the hall with wheelchair for those who need its help for moving around.
The Brindavan Ashram comprises of the following structures:
Trayee Brindavan – The Trayee Brindavan was used by the Baba as his residence when he visited this ashram. It is an impressive structure constructed in the form of a lotus and decorated in yellow and pink colors.
Sai Ramesh Krishan Hall – This was the hall where the Baba used to meet his devotees. The hall also houses a beautiful statue of Lord Krishna. Devotees gather here to sing devotional songs. It has a sitting capacity of six thousand people.
Brindavan Campus – The ashram premises houses the campus of Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning. The ashram also has a hostel for the students studying at the institute.
Sai Krishan Kalyana Mandapam – It is a huge auditorium used for the purpose of organizing cultural programs and conferences.
Sai Baba Ashram, Whitefield – Facilities
The Brinvadan ashram is visited by a large number of people from all over the world. It has several facilities and amenities for the devotees and the visitors. Low cost accommodation is available at the ashram. Indian visitors are required to carry identity proof for staying at the ashram accommodation. Foreign and NRI visitors need to carry their passport and valid visa documents to avail ashram accommodation facilities.
- The ashram offers accommodation on a first come first serve basis. Accommodation cannot be reserved before hand and has to be booked after reaching the ashram. The booking is done at the ashram accommodation office called Gokulum situated 500 meters down the road past the ashram entrance.
- Two types of accommodation are available for the visitors: Dormitories inside the ashram and rooms at Gokulum. Accommodation is generally granted for 3 to 4 weeks.
- Rooms have shower, toilet and vanity.
- Laundry facility is available at the ashram and at the Gokulum
- Watchmen provide security to the accommodation blocks
- There are canteens inside the Gokulum complex and the ashram that provide food for the visitors. The canteen at the Gokulum complex provides Indian style meals. The canteen inside the ashram provides western style food.
- There is a shopping store inside the ashram premises that sells things of daily necessity, souvenirs, audio-cassettes, CDs, etc. to the ashram visitors
- Sri Sathya Sai Book Center provides books and other spiritual literature to the visitors
- The ashram has a branch of Canara Bank located inside the premises. The branch has foreign exchange transaction facilities
- Wheel chairs are available at the Dormitory Accommodation office located inside the ashram premises
Sai Baba Ashram, Whitefield – Social Initiatives
Sri Sathya Sai Baba supports and conducts several social activities through his ashrams. Among the various social initiatives of the ashram are:
- Sri Sathya Sai General Hospital – The hospital offers consultation, treatment and medication free of charge in general medicine, dermatology, pediatrics, general surgery, orthopedic surgery, plastic surgery, urology, ENT surgery, ophthalmology, dentistry, obstetrics and gynecology. It has a capacity of sixty beds.
- Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Medical Sciences – It is a Super Specialty Hospital that offers treatment in the fields of cardiology, cardio-thoracic and vascular surgery, neurology and neuro-surgery. All the services provided at this institute are free of charge.
- Sri Sathya Sai Central Trust – The trust carries out several welfare activities such as providing education and medical help to the economically weak section of the society without any charges, supplying pure drinking water, construction of museums, community halls, convention centers, etc.
- Sri Sathya Sai Vriddhashram – This is an old-age home that offers food, shelter and medical care to the aged people without any cost.
- The ashram also conducts village service programs, construction of houses for orphaned children, and provides relief materials during natural disasters like earthquakes and tsunamis.
How to reach
The ashram is easily accessible by air, rail or road network.
Whitefield is situated on the outskirts of the Bangalore city. The international airport at Bangalore is the nearest airport to reach the ashram. There is Volvo air-conditioned public transport service BIAS (Bangalore International Airport Service) available from the airport to the ashram at Whitefield. Taxi service is also available from the airport to the ashram.
The Whitefield Railway Station is located just outside the ashram. It is a five minute walk from the station to the ashram.
There are frequent public buses that carry passengers from Bangalore to the ashram. Taxis and cabs can also be hired to reach the ashram from the city.
Sri Sathya Sai Ashram,
Brindavan, Kadugodi, Whitefield,
Bangalore – 560067
Phone: +91 802 845 2622