District: Dakshina Kannada
Temple: Shree Durga Parameshwari Temple
The Shree Durga Parameshwari Temple is located in the temple town of Kateel in Dakshina Kannada district of Karnataka.
Shree Durga Parameshwari Temple – Overview
This lovely temple is located in an islet in the middle of the Nandhini River. It is a famous pilgrimage center with thousands of pilgrims visiting the temple to seek the blessings of Goddess Durga Parameshwari.
Shree Durga Parameshwari Temple – Mythology
When the Asura Arunasura was perpetrating atrocities on the people of the Earth and terrorizing the Devas with the assurance of the boons he had got, Sage Jabali prayed to Devi Durga to rid the world of the Demon. She granted his request and appeared before Arunasura as a beautiful woman. When he came near, she told him who she was and that she had come to put an end to his tyranny. Enraged, Arunasura tried to attack her with his sword. The goddess turned to stone. Arunasura’s sword cut across the statue and a swarm of bees emerged from it and stung him to death.
Meanwhile, the planet was afflicted by a severe drought. Maharishi Jabali sought the help of the divine cow Kamadhenu to relieve the people from this drought. As she had gone to Varunaloka, he asked her daughter Nandhini to accompany him to Earth. When Nandhini repeatedly refused, the sage cursed her to become a river. This river now flows around Kateel. Kateel is formed from two base words ‘Kati’ which means center and ‘Ila’ which means area. Thus Kateel is the central region that relieved human-kind from the menace of Arunasura and the peril of a severe drought. Kati Ila later became Kateel through common usage.
Shree Durga Parameshwari Temple – Facts
- The main idol in the temple is the Durga Parameshwari idol
- There also idols of Sashtara or Ayyappa, Ganesha, Brahma and Chamundi
- The temple trust provides Annadhana – free meals- to devotees twice daily
- Yakshagana, the traditional folk dance of Karnataka, forms an important part of festivities here
- The temple trust runs several educational institutions
- The Annual Festival begins on Mesha Shankaranthi and continues for eight days
- Vasanthotsava, Pattnaje, and Kadiru Habba are special celebrations here
- Nagapanchami, Ganesha Chathurthi, Krishna Janmashtami and Deepavali are also celebrated here
How to Get to Shree Durga Parameshwari Temple
The nearest airport and railway station are located in Mangalore and Kateel is easily accessible through bus routes.
KATEEL SHREE DURGAPARAMESHWARI TEMPLE
Kateel Post, Mangalore,
Dakshina Kannada District.
Pin Code-574 148, Karnataka State, INDIA
Phone: +91 824 2200361 / 2200591
Fax : +91 824 2200561