Valanoor is a small and pleasant hamlet in Coorg, Karnataka. The place is also known as Vaalnuru. It is located near the Dubare forest. The place is a picturesque location with the forest on one side and the river Cauvery flowing through it.
Valanoor is a popular destination for nature lovers and fish aficionados. The river banks have lovely thick woods. There are large sandy beds along the banks. The river is shallow and slow moving at many places and that helps in the growth of aquatic life in the water.
Things to do in Valanoor, Coorg
Valanoor is a famous destination for enjoying activities like fishing (angling), bird watching and visiting elephant camps.
- Fishing: It is one of the few places in the country that has angling sites. The place is ideal for the enthusiasts to check their fishing skills. Valanoor is famous for various species of fishes. Among the popular game fishes are the Mahseers, Marals and Mapps. Mahseers and Marals are considered to be prized catches. A few rare species are also found there.
- Bird Watching: Valanoor is home to a large number of avian species. Some rare and exotic birds can be spotted in the forest lining. Bird watching enthusiasts can enjoy plenty of sightings of birds during the early morning hours.
- Visiting Elephant Camps: The famous Dubare elephant camp is located at a distance of just 3-4 kilometres from Valanoor. The adventure trip involves watching the elephants from close quarters and interacting with them. Visitors are allowed to feed the elephants and enjoy a ride on the backs of the elephants.
Information for visitors
- Visitors must first obtain license or permission from the Coorg Wildlife authorities to enjoy angling in the water of Cauvery in Valanoor.
- Visitors are advised to carry their own fishing equipment
- Visitors must be careful about their own safety while fishing in the water as no safety measure exists there
- The rainy season is not ideal for visiting Valanoor as the river flows heavily during this period and it may become dangerous for fishing in such water
- The best time to visit Valanoor is from October to May, as there is almost no rains during this period
How to reach Valanoor, Coorg
Valanoor can be easily reached from Madikeri, which is the nearest town. Madikeri has good connectivity from several towns and cities in Karnataka.
Madikeri is located near the Karnataka State Highway 88 that connects Mysore to Mangalore. This makes Madikeri a well-connected place by the road network.
There are several public buses that ply from Madikeri to a number of places in Karnataka and Kerala. There are frequent KSRTC buses that connect Madikeri to Bangalore, Mysore, Virajpet, etc.
From Madikeri visitors can reach Valanoor by hiring private vehicles and cabs.
The nearest rail station is located at Hassan. From Hassan visitors can opt for local transport to reach Madikeri and then to Valanoor.
The Mysore airport is the nearest one to reach Valanoor. Mysore is connected to Mumbai, Delhi, Kolkata, Chennai, Hubli, and Dubai via Bangalore.