The Tungabhadra Dam is constructed across the Tungabhadra River, a tributary of the Krishna River. The dam is near the town of Hospet in Karnataka. It is a multipurpose dam serving irrigation, electricity generation, flood control, etc. This is a joint project of erstwhile Hyderabad state and erstwhile Madras Presidency when the construction was started; later it became a joint project of Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh after its completion in 1953.
The dam creates the biggest reservoir on the Tungabhadra River with 101 thousand million cubic feet (tmc) of gross storage capacity at full reservoir level (FRL) 498 m MSL, and a water spread area of 378 square kilometres. The dam is 49.5 meters high above its deepest foundation.
As of August 2013, the project has an estimated capacity of 93.46 TMC.
|Built on||River Tungabhadra|
|Type||Earthen Dam with Left Bank spillway|
|Length||378 square kilometers|
|Height||49.5 meters above its deepest foundation|
|Storage capacity||135,000 million cubic feet|
|Number of gates|
|Projects||Hydroelectric power project|
Tungabhadra Dam a wonderful Tourist Destination
Besides, the water body has various species of fish and other aquatic animals. Species such as greater spot-billed pelicans, flamingos, storks and others can also be spotted at the site.
The dam gets filled with water during rains and water is supplied to the canals. It fulfils requirements of irrigation of land, production of electricity as well as prevents natural disasters like floods. Over the years, the site of the reservoir has become a popular picnic or tourist spot. .
Nearby Tourist Attractions
There are several temples near Tungabhadra dam and river. People often visit these places on their trip to Hospet.
- Shringeri Sharadamba Temple is on the banks of the Tunga River in Chikmagalur District, Karnataka.
- The Moola Brindavana of Guru Raghavendra is located on the banks of the Tungabhadra at Mantralayam, Andhra Pradesh.
- There are a number of ancient and holy sites on the banks of the Tungabhadra River. At Harihara there is a temple dedicated to Harihareshwara. Surrounding the modern town of Hampi are the ruins of Vijayanagara, the site of the powerful Vijayanagara Empire’s capital city and now a World Heritage Site. The Vijayanagara temple complex ruins are being restored.
- Alampur, on the left northern bank of the river, known as Dakshina Kashi in Mahaboobnagar District about 25 km from Kurnool is another important place, where the early Chalukyas built a cluster of temples. The Nava Brahma Temples complex is one of the earliest models of temple architecture in India. Jogulamba is the presiding deity.
- Lotus Mahal is a beautiful arena, which is enclosed by Zenana near Hazara Ram Temple. the enclosure was the socialising area for women in the royal family during ancient era. The structure was made of lime mortar and brick made composition. It is a two-storey structure with an open base floor and upper floor featuring arched windows and balcony. The decoration and architectural carvings are a blend of Hindu and Islamic styles.
- The Archaeological Museum features archaeologically significant artifacts and items. These ruins and collection of sculptures were earlier housed at elephant stables by the British Officers. All the artefacts and antiquities were shifted to this building in 1972. The museum features four galleries that enclose Hampi valley with a corridor all around. Arms, armory, copper plate grants and metal objects of religious significance and brass plates are displayed. The excavation items such as stucco figurines, Iron objects and sherds of porcelain are also put on display.
Resorts and Hotels near Tungabhadra Dam
This beautiful place has many resorts and hotels where you can enjoy the beauty, cuisine and architectural heritage of Karnataka. You can learn and know about the culture of the people, places and their lifestyle here. There are budget hotels and lavish ones available as well, as per your choice. So you can choose accordingly.
Contact numbers of some the resorts are listed below:
Vijayasree Heritage Village
State Highway 49-583203
Phone: +91 083 9422 5890
Royal Orchid central
Station Road, Hospet,
Phone: +91 0839 4300 100
Krishna Palace Hotel
Bus Stand Road,
Phone: +91 083 94 294300