Yenepoya Medical College and Research Institute was set up in the year 1999. The private institute for medical studies is located in Deralakatte on the outskirts of Mangalore in Karnataka. The institute started functioning with an initial batch of 100 students and was affiliated to the Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences (RGUHS), Bangalore. The institute is recognized by the Medical Council of India (MCI), New Delhi.
In 2005 the institute gained permission from the Medical Council of India to conduct post graduate courses in the medical stream. In the year 2009 the institute became a constituent college of Yenepoya University.
The institute was established with the ambition to produce outstanding medical professionals by providing quality education. The institute offers the best of facilities for the purpose of education and research activities.
Yenepoya Medical College and Research Institute stands on a sprawling green campus that spreads over an area of 31.24 acres of land. The campus houses all pre clinical and para clinical departments, library, lecture halls and examination hall. The campus is attached to a well equipped 700 bed teaching hospital that provides practical knowledge to the students.
Yenepoya Medical College and Research Institute offers under graduate program leading to MBBS degree and post graduate programs leading to MD/MS degrees. Apart from these programs, the institute also offers post graduate degree in Hospital Administration. The courses offered by the institute are:
Under Graduate Course
- MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery) – 4 ½ years program with compulsory rotatory internship of 1 year (Including 3 months community medicine)
Post Graduate Course
Doctor of Medicine (M.D) and Master of Surgery (M.S)
- MD (General Medicine)
- MD (Paediatrics)
- MD (Pathology)
- MD (Anesthesia)
- MD (OBG)
- MS [Orthopaedics)
- MS (General Surgery)
- MS (Ophthalmology)
- MS (ENT]
- MD (TB & Chest)
The institute also offers programs in:
- Masters in Hospital Administration – 2 years program
- M. Sc. in Anatomy, Biochemistry, Physiology, Pharmacology and Microbiology – 3 years program
- PG Diploma in Medical Ethics – 1 year program
Eligibility Criteria and Admission
To be eligible for admission into the MBBS course of the institute, a candidate must have passed the 2 year pre-university examination in Karnataka or its equivalent examination. The candidate must also have completed 17 years of age as on 31st December of the academic year of admission. The candidate must have secured at least 50% aggregate in the Science subjects in the qualifying examination and must have passed in the English language examination. For candidates belonging to the scheduled caste and scheduled tribe categories the minimum aggregate is 40%.
To be eligible for admission into M.D or M.S courses a candidate must possess MBBS degree from a recognized institution.
To be eligible for admission into the Masters in Hospital Administration program a candidate must have passed the MBBS, BDS, B.Sc Nursing, B.Pharmacy or B.Sc. in Allied Health Sciences examination from a recognized university with minimum of 50% marks. For candidates belonging to the scheduled caste and scheduled tribe categories the minimum percentage of marks required for admission is 45%.
Yenepoya Medical College and Research Institute is equipped with infrastructural facilities that are adequate to provide the best of education to the students. Among the many facilities at the institute are:
- Research laboratories
- Students laboratories
- Demonstration Halls with audio visual aids (LCD Projectors, Over Head Projectors and slide Projectors apart from the traditional black board and chalk)
- State of the art library cum Digital Information Centre spread over 2340.74 sq m and stocked with more than 11,746 medical books, 134 journals, 21 periodicals and 471 CD-ROM
- Printing, scanning and photocopying services available at the library at minimal cost
- Spacious and fully air-conditioned lecture halls having excellent seating arrangements and latest audio visual equipments like sound amplifier system, overhead projection, 35 mm slide projection and LCD projections and facilities for E-learning
- Large Examination Hall under CCTV surveillance
- State of the art museums in all pre and para clinical departments
- Separate recreation rooms for boys and girls
- Large Seminar Room
- Medical Illustration & Photography unit
- Fully air-conditioned modern indoor auditorium equipped with audio visual aids
- Sports complex having facilities for various kinds of sports
- Hostel complex having all modern facilities for a comfortable stay
The institute encourages research activities by the students and the faculty members. It provides support for all kinds of medical research endeavours.
Yenepoya Medical College & Research Institute
University Road, Deralakatte,
Mangalore – 575018
Phone: +91 8242 2046 68 / 69 / 70
- Ayurvedic Medical colleges in Karnataka
- Dental Colleges in Karnataka
- Medical Colleges in Karnataka
- About Medical Education in Karnataka
- About Mangalore