Sophia Opportunity School is a special school in Bangalore that provides education for the differently-abled children. The school was established in the year 1972. The school is an integrated section of Sophia High School.
This special school caters to children with mild to moderate mental retardation and multiple learning disabilities, such as dyslexia, Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder (ADHD), Asperger’s Syndrome, Down syndrome, mild autism, etc.
Learning Programs Offered at Sophia Opportunity School, Bangalore
The school offers the following special education programs for the children:
- Functional academics such as reading, writing, number work, time concept, money value, social studies, and environmental science
- Daily living skills (DLS) or self-help skills such as eating, brushing, grooming, dressing, etc.
- Development of communication skills and motor skills
- Music classes
- Computer classes
- Yoga therapy and training in perceptual abilities
- Vocational training
- Sports and extra-curricular activities
- Dance and movement therapy sessions (on a weekly basis)
- Engages a full time speech therapist who enables students to better express their thoughts and feelings through words
- Has a full-time physiotherapist to keep the children physically fit
- Provides children with Occupational Therapy, a skilled treatment that helps children to achieve independence in all aspects of life
- Offers facilities for the academically inclined students to appear for the 7th standard Karnataka National Open School Board Exam
- Facilitates Vocational Training for students
- Imparts basic kitchen skills and sewing skills to the students
- Organizes Parent-Teacher Association or PTA regularly to discuss about a child’s progress and home program.
- Teachers and staff visit the home of every student in order to observe the child in the domestic setting, which aids the staff to guide the parent in the correct methods of therapy
- Conducts Individual parental counselling every Saturday throughout the academic year
- Organizes seminars and workshops regularly for parents to familiarize them with the latest technology and recent methods of rehabilitation.
- Uses the BASIC-MR and other assessment methods to assess the students quarterly and maintains records of the students’ progress
- Organizes field visits to post office, railway station, bus stand, hospital, supermarket, etc. to ensure that children get maximum exposure in the community.
- Encourages students to participate in interschool competition such as drawing, painting, dancing, relay, basketball, etc.
Sophia Opportunity School
70, Palace Road, High Grounds,
Bangalore – 560001
Phone: +91 80222 05683