Bethany Special School in Bangalore provides education for children with physical and mental disabilities. The school is a part of Bethany High, which is a known name in the educational scenario of Bangalore. Bethany Special School became functional in the year 1983.
Learning Programs Offered at Bethany Special School, Bangalore
The school imparts the following skills to the students as part of their learning program:
- Functional Academics
- Language and communication skills
- Social skills
- ADL skills (Activities of Daily Living)
- Gross and fine motor skills
- Prevocational and vocational skills
- Computer skills
- Formulates an Individual Education Plan or IEP for every student at the beginning of the academic year
- Carries out assessment of students thrice a year to measure the progress of the students
- Parents-teachers meets are regularly held by the school
- Has a well-qualified Occupational Therapist who provides Occupational Therapy to all the students who need it
- Engages trained Speech Therapists from S. R. ChandrashekarInstitute of Speech and Hearing to provide Speech Therapy to the students who need it
- Arranges for optional activities for the students, such as fitness classes, singing classes, dance classes, etc. Music classes are also regularly held for the students
The students are taken out on a picnic every year to celebrate Children’s Day. The school organises ‘Vishesh Milan’, a gathering of special children from special schools in Bangalore. In this event differently abled children get an opportunity to show case their skills in the field of music, dance and drama.
Special Units at Bethany Special School, Bangalore
The school has several units where students can gain training in various vocations. These units of the school are:
- Craft Unit: The craft unit provides training in many activities like painting, diya making, pottery, candle making, etc. All the students of the school get involved in various stages of making each of these items.
- Loom Unit: The loom unit is a vocational training unit. This unit trains students to do activities like weaving, rolling, cutting, sequencing and stitching. The older girl students are taught to stitch several items like jute bags, aprons, edges of the kitchen napkins, etc.
- Bakery Unit: It is a fully equipped vocational training unit. In this unit the students are trained to do various activities like giving shapes to biscuits, keeping the bakery surroundings clean and packing of biscuits in a hygienic manner.
The school remains open from 8.30 am to 3 pm from Monday to Friday.
Bethany Special School
510/A, S.T. Bed,
Koramangala, Bangalore – 560095
Phone: +91 80256 34902