Though the lockdown has eased considerably, the danger of the coronavirus is still prevalent. The Karnataka state government has taken a number of steps to limit the spread of this disease and to treat people infected by the virus. In this article, we discuss the SOP or Standard Operating Procedures for COVID care centers in Karnataka
If you or anyone around you shows symptoms of the disease, you must immediately consult a doctor. As long as it is addressed in time, the person can be treated and cured.
SOP For COVID Care Centers In Karnataka – Where Will Treatment Be Provided?
The state government has set up a number of temporary COVID care centers. Each COVID care center is mapped to one or more Dedicated COVID Health centers and at least one Dedicated COVID Hospitals for referrals. They also have dedicated Basic Life support Ambulances equipped with 24×7 oxygen support. Shifts will be maintained at 8-hour intervals.
A number of Dedicated COVID Health Centers and Dedicated COVID Hospitals have also been identified. Patients will be sent to one of the three centers for treatment based on the presence or absence of symptoms.
All asymptomatic patients with a body temperature less than 37.5˚C and oxygen saturation levels higher than 95% will be admitted to COVID Care Centers. Exceptions include:
- The patient is more than 50 years old or less than 10 years old
- The patient has co-morbidities
- The patient is a pregnant or lactating woman
- The patient has a serious medical or psychological condition
Symptomatic patients will be admitted to either Dedicated COVID Health centers or Dedicated COVID Hospitals based on the severity of the symptoms shown.
SOP For COVID Care Centers In Karnataka – Requirements For COVID Care Centers
These centers have been set up in private and public schools, hotels, stadiums, hostels, lodges, etc. Preferably, they should be naturally well-ventilated.
- MBBS Doctor
- Nursing Staff
- Lab Technician
Some of the basic requirements in terms of infrastructure are:
- Rooms/ dormitories with a preferable capacity of 5-10 beds per room
- Beds to have 1-2 meters distance between them
- Potable water should be available
- Rooms should be well lit with ceiling fans, electricity and heating
- A functional telephone system is needed for communication
- Laundry services
- Cleaning and housekeeping/ sanitation services should be available
- Properly covered bins must be placed as per BMW
- Parking space should be available for ambulances and other vehicles
- Ease of access for medical/food/ other supplies delivery
- Preferably, the center should be differently-abled friendly
- Dedicated administrative office
- Reception area
- Pharmaceutical/ logistics rooms
- Restrooms for doctors, nurses and supporting staff
- Clinical examination rooms
- Nursing stations
- On or off-site laundry facilities
- On or off-site mess/ meal preparation facilities
- A holding area for contaminated waste
- In-house accommodation for working staff
- Preferably, the center should have recreational facilities such as indoor games, reading material, television or radio sets
Only trained and authorized personnel may enter the COVID Care centers. To ensure this the center should have informed and trained security at the main entrance and a guard. They must also maintain a register of people entering and leaving the center.
SOP For COVID Care Centers In Karnataka – Instructions For Care
All asymptomatic patients admitted to COVID care centers must be screened for body temperature, blood pressure, random blood sugar, heart rate and SpO2 levels at the time of admittance.
These levels will be monitored regularly at the beginning of each shift and on a need basis. Case records for each patient will be maintained separately. The THO/ BBMP officer will be updated with daily statistics such as status of individual patients, bed occupancy and referrals/ discharges.
If the patient begins to show moderate to severe symptoms, he/she will be shifted to a Dedicated COVID Health center or Dedicated COVID Hospital. The nodal person at the COVID care center will be responsible for this transfer.
- COVID-19 Hospitals In Bangalore
- Hospitals for COVID-19 Treatment In Karnataka
- COVID-19 Test Centres In Karnataka
- COVID-19 Testing – Fever Clinics In Bangalore
- How To Handle COVID-19 In Your Community
- Top 6 Home Quarantine Checklist
- What To Do If You Are Tested Positive – BBMP East Zone Positive Case Guidelines
- BBMP Booths To Tackle Rising COVID-19 Cases In Bangalore