The Government of Karnataka has decided to reopen the colleges from the 17th of November 2020 and put forward SOP for colleges in Karnataka. The colleges were shut down along with the other educational institutions during the mid of March due to the COVID-19 outbreak in India.
Based on the guidelines set by the UGC (University Grants Commission) SOPs (Standard Operating Procedures) have been formulated by the Department of Higher Education.
This is to ensure the safety of the students and their faculty during this period of COVID-19 pandemic.
Check out: SOP For Movie Theaters
SOP For Colleges In Karnataka – Highlights
The SOP set by the Department of Higher Education is based on the guidelines put forward by the UGC. The SOPs include the following:
- Separate sets of advisories for first-year, second-year, and final-year students
- Classes will be held based on these advisories
- Final year students and Postgraduate students can attend regular classes in college.
- They have to get a duly signed consent letter from their parents
- Social distancing a must to conduct physical classes
- The total number of students in the college needs to be compared to the number of classrooms available
- This should be based on the guidelines by the current advisories and the Department of health
- Timetable for regular classes to be prepared at the college
- The authorities have to consider the requirements set by the health department
- The lectures, projects, and practical sessions must be carried out based on the shift system
- The shift system must be adopted only if it is necessary
- Students have the choice to not attend physical classes
- In such a situation they can make use of the available online facilities
- Contact classes to be held daily
- Clarification of doubts
- Resolve the issues of students (related to the topic)
- Teachers should prepare in advance the study materials required
- For one month
- Required material for each session or period
- This should be sent to all students through email/WhatsApp/Telegram
- Study materials must be in one of the following forms
- PowerPoint presentations
- Practice questions
- All these materials must be uploaded on the official website of the college
- All students except the final year students and Post Graduate students who attend classes online can stay in hostels. (Within the campus or outside)
General Guidelines For Reopening Colleges In Karnataka
Apart from the above-mentioned SOPs, the colleges have also been given certain guidelines in general. They include the following.
- Cleaning the entire college building
- Cleansing the College entrance area
- Sanitizing the course material
- Cleaning and sanitizing the furniture
- Teachers, students, non-teaching staff, and college authorities to get tested for COVID-19
According to Dr. C N Ashwatha Narayana, the Deputy Chief Minister for Karnataka, preparations are being done to start regular classes (offline) in colleges. Dr. Narayana is also the Minister for Higher Education in Karnataka.
- Standard Operating Procedures or SOP For COVID Care Centers In Karnataka
- What To Do If You Are Tested COVID Positive – BBMP East Zone Positive Case Guidelines