Dasara is a beautiful time to visit Mysore. If you are planning a trip to Mysore during Dasara, there are a few things you must know. Here are some useful tips to celebrate a plastic free Mysore Dasara
Why Plastic Free Mysore Dasara
The 10-day festival starts with the Navratri and concludes with Vijayadashmi. It’s a festival that celebrates the victory of good over evil with great comp and splendor. Dasara in Mysore has been celebrated for over 400 years and many people travel here just to be a part of the celebration.
Unfortunately, with them comes a tide of plastic. To fight that, all visitors are being urged to use cloth bags instead of plastic and to carry refillable steel bottles for water. a plastic free Mysore Dasara campaign is being promoted under the Swacch Bharat Mission.
As a result of the plastic ban enforced in the city, scientific processing of waste and removal of landfills, the city has been given a 5-star rating as per the Garbage Free City Protocol. It is also certified as an Open Defecation Free Plus city.
Plastic Free Mysore Dasara – How Can You Contribute?
No matter how hard Mysore’s city staff work, insensitive behavior by tourists can mar the city’s beauty. If you’re traveling to Mysore, some of the things you should do are:
- Avoid using plastic bags as far as possible
- Always carry a cloth bag with you for any shopping you may want to do
- Carry water in a steel flask.
- Instead of buying water, refill this flask when it is empty at a restaurant or hotel.
- Do not throw litter anywhere on the streets. Please throw waste only in garbage bins.
- As far a possible, avoid buying foods packaged in plastic.
When using public restrooms, make an effort to keep the place as clean as it was when you entered.