Home-stay policy to boost tourism in Karnataka
The government has finally come out with a policy on homestays which are popular in Chikmagalur, Kodagu and Shimoga. Under the Athithi Home Stay project, the home-stays are categorized as golden guest and silver guest divisions.
- The home-stays coming under golden guest category will pay an annual fee of Rs 15,000 to the tourism department.
- The silver guest category will pay an annual fee of Rs 10,000.
- The home-stays are exempt from luxury tax.
- The owners should live beside their home-stay facility.
- The accommodation should not exceed more than five rooms.
- Owners should not use the land and building earmarked as home-stay for other purposes.
28 home-stays have been identified by the tourism department in Chikmagalur district have to register their names with tourism department