Biotech can be defined as any technique, product or process which uses or is derived by using any living system (plant, animal or micro-organism), to make or modify a product, to improve plants or animals, or to develop microorganisms for specific use.
After establishing itself as a IT and BPO hub, Karnataka has successfully attracted the BioTech industry. As of Q1 2004 Bangalore currently houses 92 of India’s 180 biotech companies, with total actual investments of over Rs 1,000 crore, of which Rs 140 crore has been venture capital funding. The companies are encouraged to invest thanks to the presence of large R&D institutions like Indian Institute of Science and the National Centre for Biological Resources. However, it is sure to face a lot of competition from media savvy Hyderabad.
The infrastructure support would be comprehensive, right from advance computing facilities to treated water necessary for biotech research. The incumbents of Bangalore Helix would pay for the infrastructure services.
Some of the well known companies are:
- Accelrys Inc. – (A subsidiary of Pharmacopeia)
- Alltech Biotechnology Pvt. Ltd.
- Animal Biotech (Bangalore) Pvt. Ltd., firstname.lastname@example.org
- AstraZeneca R&D [stock quote] in Bangalore is an integral part of the global organization, with a mandate to discover new chemical entities for the treatment of infectious diseases of the developing world.
- Avestha Gengraine Technologies Pvt. Ltd (Avesthagen)
- Aurigene Discovery Technologies Ltd. (of Dr Reddy’s Lab)
- Bhat Biotech
- Biocon [stock quote]
- Care Biomedicals
- InfoPro Solutions – an infotech company focussing on the pharmaceutical and biotechnology drug development areas.
- Cell Works Group
- Labland Biotechs – is a global player in the field of Plant Biotechnology
- ReaMetrix India Pvt. Ltd
- Sami Lab
- Strand Life Sciences
- Syngene International
- Triesta LifeSciences
Companies that provide equipment and solutions for the biotech industry
- Agilent Technologies – a subsidiary of HP, designs and manufactures test, measurement and monitoring instruments and solutions for life science research in pharmaceutical and Biotechnology industries.
- Alfa Laval India Ltd.
- ArisGlobal Software Pvt. Ltd.
- Automed Systems Pvt. Ltd.
- Bangalore Bio 2006 – June 7-9, 2006
- Institute of Bioinformatics and Applied Biotechnology (IBAB)
- Karnataka Biotech Policy: BangaloreBio and ABLE
- Biocon Diabetology, Insugen – a portal for diabetics