The fort is in the most crowded city market area of Bangalore. The Fort was originally constructed by Kempe Gowda using mud bricks, and later on reconstructed by Haider Ali using granite stones and finally completed by Tipu Sultan in the year 1791.
This place is entirely built in Teak wood and was originally a summer retreat. It took 10 years to complete the whole thing. It is a two storied wooden structure with pillars, balconies and carved arches.
The Fort is built as per Islamic style with an inscription bearing the words “Abode of Happiness”, with gardens on either side leading to the palace. With in premises of the fort lies a Ganesha temple which depicts and represents Tipu’s religious tolerance and dates back to the year 1790.
Another major attraction of the fort is the art gallery where it holds thousands of historical photos, delicate carvings, paintings including those of maharajahs and viceroys.
In June 2005 the palace was opened to the public by Srikantadatta Narasimharaja Wodeyar to meet the Rs 20 lakh an annual upkeep costs of the palace.
There is an entry fee to the fort.
Visiting Hours: 10am to 6pm (Sunday holiday)