Lalbagh is currently under the aegis of the Directorate of Horticulture, Government of Karnataka. The Directorate is housed amidst the splendid environs of the botanical garden. Today it has been an internationally renowned centre for scientific study of plants and botanical artwork and also conservation of plants.
Formal and informal styles dominate the garden in perfect harmony, which is a testimony to the beauty of nature. The garden extends lush green paradise with an area of 240 acres in the heart of the city. Nearly 673 genera and 1,854 species of plants are found in Lalbagh. The collection of the plants has made it a veritable treasure house of plants.
Some important things to see in Lalbagh are,
The Glass House
Statue of Sri Chamaraja Wodeyar
The Directorate Building
Lalbagh West Gate Guard Room
Lalbagh Location And Access
The garden is accessible through four gates. Vehicles are allowed only through the East gate towards the Double Road. There is ample parking space on entering through this gate. Vehicular movement inside the garden is restricted. Access to the Directorate of Horticulture and related offices is through the main gate. HOPCOMS, MHS and BNCS offices are easily accessible through the Double Road gate.
Biannual flower shows are organized every year in January and August on the occasion of the Republic Day and Independence Day celebrations respectively. Training in Horticulture, Post Harvest Technology and Mushroom cultivation, Classes in Ikebana and Bonsai are also conducted.
Lalbagh remains open daily from 6.00 a.m. to 7.00 p.m. throughout the year. Click here to see the official website for Lalbagh.
History of Lalbagh
Lalbagh Gardens was known Rose and Cypress Garden till 1856. King Hyder Ali’s father was in the service of Dilawar Khan, Viceroy of Mughuls. Dilawar Khan had a passionfor setting up many gardens across Mysore. Among them the famous ones are Moghul gardens at Sira near Tumkur, Lalbagh at Srirangapatna, a garden at Malavalli , Lalbagh Gardens in Bangalore.
The Lalbagh was originally a 40 acre land. Nurtured by Tipu Sultan, Hyder Ali’s son the garden had plants and saplings from Cape Town, Mauritius, Turkey Tenerife, Persia, Kabul and other places.
Hyder Ali laid out this famous botanical garden and his son added horticultural wealth to them by importing trees and plants from several countries. The garden today houses over 1000 species of flora which include rare and enchanting collection of tropical plants, trees and herbs. The Glass House, modelled along London’s Crystal Palace, is the center of attraction in this 2400 acre park. Bi-annual flower shows attracting participants from all over India is held in the Glass House.
After Tipu’s regime the garden was under the care of Major Waugh of Madras European Regiment who later handed over to the East India Company. Till 1812, Benjamin Heyne was in charge of the Botanical Gardens. He collected more than 350 species from Western Ghats and more than 200 species were named by him.
In 1858 onward, Mr. New, followed by Cameron and Javaraya, Krumbiegal and Marigowda and their team whose vision and effort have Lalbagh as what we see today. Cameron extended the 40 acres to 120 acres. Larger numbers of vegetable were introduced. The Glass House, a small replica of the crystal palace of London was built under the guidance of Prince of Wales. Edward Lear, English Poet visited the garden in dog cart in 1874. The Lalbagh tower, one of the 4 towers constructed by the King Kempe Gowda II in 1597 AD , marks the city’s boundary on the South of Bendakalooru (Bangalore now).
In July, 2003 it was decided that the Department of Horticulture and Bangalore Development Authority (BDA) would jointly take up the development of Lal Bagh Botanical Gardens.
The structure was completely renovated and inaugurated by SM Krishna on Jan 15, 2004. Renovation details:
Cost Rs 5 crore
Renovation time 3 months
Glass: 60,000 tonnes, 3505 unbreakable panes
1,000 sq mtrs of galvanised steel
The 2.75 sq mts Glass House sandblasted using 75 microns of Zinc Chromide to prevent rusting.
325 gutters constructed along the eduges to drain out water.
Silicon gel 1,577 litres
Foundation stone laid by Diwan of Mysore Sir Mirza Ismail restored
75 lunx of illumination work done and special lighting that saves 40% energy put up inside
New benches made of cast iron with wooden frames constructed